Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: 68RFE towing upgrade - revmax

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE towing upgrade - revmax

Lately I've been doing a bit of towing, around 10-11000 pounds behind the 2015 crew cab.

Looking to upgrade the transmission to make it better for towing as in standard form it's too much of a compromise...

Looking at a revmax valve body, 17 blade low stall converter and of course ray's tuning......

Any other recommendations ?

Bear in mind that I'm in Australia, so freight is a killer on the wallet...

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE towing upgrade - revmax

There's a thread on here called get the billet flex plate. You definitely want to check that out before you place your order.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks hoe, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes hoe, IGOTACUMMINS, Wisenheimer liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

+1 on the flex plate with the converter upgrade. Might as well throw on a deep pan as well if you don't already have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

the problem is the shock load from the converter clutch. As I have explained to ATS, the raised line pressure is great but the converter apply time needs to be adjusted accordingly. Ram does a linear apply rate based off several factors and the aftermarket tuning doesn't have control of what they need. The heavy duty converters are stout and do not need to be applied at 100% duty cycle and 5ms ramp rate. Once this is figured out the issue will go away and the trucks will perform as we want. There is a reason Ram does a partial apply in lower ranges. I am on my 2nd software set for the co-plot and I have sent the data needed to correct some of the issues but I am a perfectionist so Clint (ATS) knows that it will be perfect or I will not support it. Changing the size of the piston is something that needs to be addressed for performance in street trucks. JMHO!

8. Likes Power247, Csnelson54, The DodgeFather liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAZMAN View Post
    the problem is the shock load from the converter clutch. As I have explained to ATS, the raised line pressure is great but the converter apply time needs to be adjusted accordingly. Ram does a linear apply rate based off several factors and the aftermarket tuning doesn't have control of what they need. The heavy duty converters are stout and do not need to be applied at 100% duty cycle and 5ms ramp rate. Once this is figured out the issue will go away and the trucks will perform as we want. There is a reason Ram does a partial apply in lower ranges. I am on my 2nd software set for the co-plot and I have sent the data needed to correct some of the issues but I am a perfectionist so Clint (ATS) knows that it will be perfect or I will not support it. Changing the size of the piston is something that needs to be addressed for performance in street trucks. JMHO!
    Great info good looking out appreciate the info bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Installing a monster converter in front of a stock trans is akin to using a stronger impact wrench on the same strength of bolt you were turning with a weaker one. You weren't able to snap that bolt before, but now you can.

11. Likes Wisenheimer liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Lately I've been doing a bit of towing, around 10-11000 pounds behind the 2015 crew cab.

Looking to upgrade the transmission to make it better for towing as in standard form it's too much of a compromise...

Looking at a revmax valve body, 17 blade low stall converter and of course ray's tuning......

Any other recommendations ?

Bear in mind that I'm in Australia, so freight is a killer on the wallet...

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
    I have the ultra low 15 blade stall. Great towing converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopkc View Post
    Installing a monster converter in front of a stock trans is akin to using a stronger impact wrench on the same strength of bolt you were turning with a weaker one. You weren't able to snap that bolt before, but now you can.
    Man that is an awesome statement

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs