Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Rear leaf thoughts.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Rear leaf thoughts.

Ok so I changed out what I think might be the original 11 year old shocks. It's still stiff as hell. I know it's a 2500 and it's not going to ride like a Cadillac. But this truck is mainly used as a family hauler. Also I don't tow anything nor plan on it. So my thoughts on what I was considering. And it's just a thought. Has anyone ever ran without the overload spring? Has anyone ever swapped them out for 1500 leafs? Or is it better and safer to do Carli add a leafs?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Rear leaf thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by rlf_racing View Post
    Ok so I changed out what I think might be the original 11 year old shocks. It's still stiff as hell. I know it's a 2500 and it's not going to ride like a Cadillac. But this truck is mainly used as a family hauler. Also I don't tow anything nor plan on it. So my thoughts on what I was considering. And it's just a thought. Has anyone ever ran without the overload spring? Has anyone ever swapped them out for 1500 leafs? Or is it better and safer to do Carli add a leafs?
    I would say Carli no way you could or should try to use 1500 springs good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I was thinking Thuren linear rate fronts and Carli rears until I realized it wouldn't squeeze under my garage door

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

What are the though of just removing the heavy overload springs and just stick with the remaining leafs?

Again these are just thoughts not actions.

5. Likes Power247 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlf_racing View Post
    What are the though of just removing the heavy overload springs and just stick with the remaining leafs?

Again these are just thoughts not actions.
    Not sure you would notice much difference normal driving. I have to get a good bit of weight in the bed before the overload springs make contact. Replacement springs will be the safest solution by far.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Thanks rlf_racing thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The few times I have seen 1500 leaf springs used on diesel powered trucks, the axle wrap is usually really bad. You need a pack that can hold up to the torque of the engine in the truck. If you aren't going to use your truck for heavy loads, I suggest running the Thuren LT leafs, they are very soft. Give us a call, and we can discuss options for shocks, and coils to go along with them.

9. Thanks RogueDiesel thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, RogueDiesel liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Do you own the truck outright? Downsizing to a 1/2 ton since you don't haul with it isn't what anyone wants to hear but easier than fighting to find spring rate
    If you've got a little budget and can do the work yourself convert the rear from leaf to a 4-link and coils. You won't wrap and will be able to choose height and weight of the spring

11. Likes Power247 liked this post