Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Exhaust

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhaust

Not sure if this is the right forum, mods please feel free to move. So right now I have a 4" tbe single. I like the sound and I feel like I'm getting good airflow. My question is at what point do you go to a single 5" tbe? I notice a lot of guys have them. I just always thought you had to be upwards of 750 ponies for that kind of thing

2. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust

Most of the time people who go above 550 hp or so jump to the 5 inch exhaust for lower EGT's and of course better flow. There are alot of people who just stick with the 4 inch and have more then 550hp and are just as satisfied as the guys with 5 inch.

What are your plans for the trucks future? 4 inch should suffice enough depending on what your plans are and use for the truck.

Let me know where i can help bud!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes AnOldBiker, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Everything I have researched on is if you're over 700 hp, you should get the 5". Your really cranking out the hp at that point.

Or ... you can get it like I did. My son-in-law has a friend that runs a shop and it cost me materials and a 6 pack plus help him install. Couldn't turn it down.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My plans arent anything aggressive, the truck has good power and gets good mileage.
    Is there a downside to going 5" without that kind of power? What would be the reasoning for going that big other than having that kind of power? I have a local exhaust shop here that does an awesome job and I do business back and forth with them all the time, he can do any work and get me parts for cost, but his knowledge lies more with gas motors than diesels.

8. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

If you're looking at it from a horsepower perspective. You have to be making some big power to worry about anything more than a 4" exhaust going to the 5"

Not concerned about the HP side of things
    A 4" will produce a different tone and generally louder. The 6.7 you don't hear the turbo much but with a 4" you will a little more
    A 5" will be more of a deep tone with a significant drone especially if you're running without a muffler of some kind

The larger 5" pushes more exhaust away and lowers EGT's. If you're not running a lot of power you may not be to concerned about it but lower EGT's always help

10. Thanks KiloCummins04 thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have a good connection for sure.

Your 4 inch will definitely fit your needs extremely well then.

I think you'll continue to be happy with your 4 inch and be even more happier with some saved cash in your pocket.

Dude's Diesel Performance, LLC
    Clayton & Jordan
    281-895-3833
    Columbus, TX

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Thanks KiloCummins04 thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Most of the time people who go above 550 hp or so jump to the 5 inch exhaust for lower EGT's and of course better flow. There are alot of people who just stick with the 4 inch and have more then 550hp and are just as satisfied as the guys with 5 inch.

What are your plans for the trucks future? 4 inch should suffice enough depending on what your plans are and use for the truck.

Let me know where i can help bud!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Everything I have researched on is if you're over 700 hp, you should get the 5". Your really cranking out the hp at that point.

Or ... you can get it like I did. My son-in-law has a friend that runs a shop and it cost me materials and a 6 pack plus help him install. Couldn't turn it down.

As far as I can remember, 700 HP was the breaking point for allot of things.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I have the flo pro 5 inch turbo back, sound is the major difference you'll notice. It's alot deeper, and sounds like it should vs 4 inch. I started with 4 and moved to 5 inch. I'm not pushing any major power, a little over 400hp maybe. I definitely don't see a downfall do it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

16. Thanks KiloCummins04 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

4" Exhaust is more than large enough for even high hp setups. Most guys like the deeper sound of the 5"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, KiloCummins04 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post