Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 2500 Front End Rebuild and Steering Upgrades

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2001 2500 Front End Rebuild and Steering Upgrades

2001 2500 4WD, 206K miles

First let me say this, I'm in the process of researching and ordering parts with Clayton @Dude's Diesel Performance to rebuild the front end of my son's truck as well as upgrade the steering before he heads off to college in August, 6.5 hours away from home. We've had it for a little over a year and I am either the 6th or 7th owner in it's 16 yr existence, so there is no telling everything that has or hasn't been done prior to me acquiring it. Right now there is about 4" of play in the steering wheel before the wheels even move slightly, I can hear a clicking in the steering gear box as well.

I know it has 33" tires on 16" wheels, there are 2" spacers in the front, possible a leveling kit with Bilstein shocks w/coils, but not sure from whom. It also has one of those steering box stabilizers that adds an additional bearing to the bottom of the steering box sector shaft.

Here are my thoughts, feel free to suggest, but remember, he's headed to college in 2 months and I don't have a lot of time to do everything.
    I've also heard/read about replacing the Y-steering with the T-steering found on the 2010+ models. anyone have any experience?

Steering Upgrades:
    Redhead Gear Box (how do I tell if I need the hydraulic steering assist)
    Borgeson 000950 Steering Shaft

Front End Rebuild:
    - Sway bar End links
    - Sway bar Bushngs
    - Moog Package Deal 261 which inclides:
    -- Outer Tie Rod End - Right Hand Side MOOG-DS1460
    -- Inner Tie Rod End - Driver Side MOOG-DS1462
    -- Front Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve MOOG-ES2012S
    -- Front Outer Tie Rod End - Driver Side MOOG-ES3526
    -- Front Outer Tie Rod End at Pitman Arm MOOG-ES3527
    -- Front Upper Ball Joint MOOG-K7394
    -- Front Lower Ball Joint MOOG-K7397

Some other things I'm looking at replacing down the road but haven't had time to research and the above is gonna hurt the wallet a bit for now.
    - Wheel hub bearings
    - Brake pads & rotors, possibly calipers (we replaced the brake hoses back in January w/ Kevlar SS Braided hoses after one ruptured at an intersection )

So, if you've made it this far, sorry for being long winded, suggestions are appreciated.

2. Likes watersupply189, Snow Dodge liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Installed the Borgeson Steering shaft and Red-Head steering gearbox yesterday.
    The actual removal and install wasn't a difficult job, just takes time to get all the air out of the system.

Prior to installing the new gearbox and shaft, I had approximately 4" of slop in the steering, 2" in each direction. Little to none now.

Red-Head Steering Gearbox (2017-07-04).jpg

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

4. Likes watersupply189, Snow Dodge liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: 2001 2500 Front End Rebuild and Steering Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Installed the Borgeson Steering shaft and Red-Head steering gearbox yesterday.
    The actual removal and install wasn't a difficult job, just takes time to get all the air out of the system.

Red-Head Steering Gearbox (2017-07-04).jpg
    Good job

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Likes watersupply189, Snow Dodge liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Looks like we'll be replacing the wheel bearings and brakes sooner than expected. While test driving after the gearbox install, I heard grinding while coming to a stop. Upon further inspection, the driver's side front wheel bearing is shot and the inner brake pad is completely worn down and is disintegrating the inner half of the rotor. Not sure if the caliper is shot as a result of the wheel bearing problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Likes Snow Dodge, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Looks like we'll be replacing the wheel bearings and brakes sooner than expected. While test driving after the gearbox install, I heard grinding while coming to a stop. Upon further inspection, the driver's side front wheel bearing is shot and the inner brake pad is completely worn down and is disintegrating the inner half of the rotor. Not sure if the caliper is shot as a result of the wheel bearing problem.

Well that sucks bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Damn, it's always something.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Damn, it's always something.

Greg
    Yea, but better to find it now than when he's 6 hours away at school, or worse while driving.

12. Likes Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Yea, but better to find it now than when he's 6 hours away at school, or worse while driving.

Very true!!

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Installed a new driver's side wheel bearing hub assy and Power Stop Z23 brake pads and rotors.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Snow Dodge, Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Picked up this little gem, saved my hands, arms and back.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Snow Dodge, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast