Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Clunk in running gear

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Clunk in running gear

2017 2500 mega cab has a crazy amount of slop and a big clunk in rear diff when u let off before a shift or peddle the throttle at slower speed around town. It feel like I'm gonna blow the driveline out while towing gotta get back on the throttle real slow, I was told this is a ram thing by the dealer can anyone chime in on this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Clunk in running gear

Does it sound/feel like it's in the rear end or the transmission/transfer case

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sounds more like the rear end to me

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Could be anything from needing adjusted as mentioned earlier
    To something in the drive line binding up. Possibly improper angle. Tearing up u-joints.
    Tooth or teeth catching or grinding off.
    Axle shafts sheering

If it's within the drive line it could be hard shifts transferring back. Similar to the Fords with their solinoids that control shifts. Sometimes they shift extremely hard and give the feeling like you're talking about

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

10 4 thanks just wanted to see if others were experiencing the same thing

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    Could be anything from needing adjusted as mentioned earlier
    To something in the drive line binding up. Possibly improper angle. Tearing up u-joints.
    Tooth or teeth catching or grinding off.
    Axle shafts sheering

If it's within the drive line it could be hard shifts transferring back. Similar to the Fords with their solinoids that control shifts. Sometimes they shift extremely hard and give the feeling like you're talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnelson54 View Post
    10 4 thanks just wanted to see if others were experiencing the same thing

I agree. Around 60K they are worn in and have more end play. The spec is .005 to .009. You'd be amazed how 1 thousandths can drive you nuts.

The preload in the pinion can do that too. I use the Amsoil friction modifier. rear will never wear. The temps are noticeably lower

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Thanks Csnelson54 thanked for this post
    Likes Csnelson54 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I agree. Around 60K they are worn in and have more end play. The spec is .005 to .009. You'd be amazed how 1 thousandths can drive you nuts.

The preload in the pinion can do that too. I use the Amsoil friction modifier. rear will never wear. The temps are noticeably lower
    So your truck doesn't have this problem?

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Csnelson54 View Post
    So your truck doesn't have this problem?

No. I regeared it about 45K ago. Been running that stuff since them. I deliberately did the touch test for temps on the rear before and after. I went from 373's to 342's. Mines and 03, but still sounds like it needs another gear.

I have other issues which I had in my 08 when I regeared that. The rear howled on decel. 30K later it was gone. I didn't know about Archoil back then. In this truck, it did the same thing. I put the Archoil friction additive in, it's still howling, but is a bit quieter. It's something about the way the AAM after market gears are ground. I use it in the engine too. www.archoil.com Good shtuff. You can feel the difference in the oil in your fingers

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Thanks Csnelson54 thanked for this post