Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Torque Converter Slip Parameters

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Torque Converter Slip Parameters

Started monitoring the TQ-S parameter today. Don't really know what I'm looking at - can someone educate me? I noticed that in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears, it has zero or slightly negative numbers. I assume this means the TC is locked? But I noticed negative numbers of better than 500-600 when coasting slowly (15-25 mph) down a hill coming back into the campground - is that the tranny holding me back? Wasn't towing - just made a grocery run. When Idling through the campground in 1st gear, was reading 20-25. What numbers should I try to avoid so I can set the ranges on the gauge?

Thanks!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes rtdrags liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Torque Converter Slip Parameters

I could be slightly off so someone smarter might correct me but....

0 or close to it is torque converter locked.

positive number is TC unlocked and engine spinning faster than TC output

negative number is TC unlocked and engine spinning slower than TC output

I dont see too much on the negative but positive is ridiculous. Under hard acceleration i will see slip hit 1100 rpm or more until it eventually locks in 5th gear.

if you want to have fun monitoring your trans parameters like that you can watch engine speed, torque converter slip, turbine speed, and output shaft speed. The math all adds up.

4. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
    Likes Bobtipton liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I certainly haven't seen 1100 yet but haven't towed since switching the tranny line pressure gauge to the TC slip setting. Thanks for the info. One other question you may know the answer to - when monitoring tranny temp, when I'm monitoring tranny oil temp, it reads about 35-40 degrees lower than the tranny temp on the EVIC, and when monitoring the Tran-ST parameter, it reads about 20 degrees cooler than what's displayed on the EVIC. Running firmware RAME005D.

Thanks!

Bob

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler
    Pulling a 2011 HitchHiker 31.5 UKTG Fifth Wheel
    Full-time RVer since 9/22/14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

No clue on that one. Never monitored the temps through the raceme.

7. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
    Likes Bobtipton liked this post