Thanks Thanks:  129
Likes Likes:  315
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EFI Live, EZ Lynk, or MM3 Tuner Info - Which is better and Why?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

EFI Live, EZ Lynk, or MM3 Tuner Info - Which is better and Why?

Howdy folks! I'd thought it would be great to create a thread to help the newcomer decide which tuning device for the 6.7 Cummins powered Ram Pickup is best.

I want this to be an open and honest thread. I want facts and your opinions. I want this to fair and balanced. I do not want any bickering and arguing. I want this to be helpful for the newbies out there coming into the diesel performance market.

You may ask, why did I create this thread as an MM3 dealer only? You may say surely he's gonna be totally biased...well NOPE. The answer is there are a lot of lies, misinformation, and covering up of the truth out there in internet land...and I'm sick of it!! Unfortunately, so many newbies are hitting social media groups like the Facebook group 6.7 Cummins Performance and only seeing part of the truth. I've been involved with that one myself and mention some truthful things only to see it disappear. And unfortunately, the newbie only gets to see the part the ones in charge want them to see. Well...that won't happen here!

OK, having said all that I'll give you my opinion...sort of.

I think in the hands of a capable tuner they are all good options. Hardware wise they are different and the consumer may like one or the other just based on that simple fact...but WHOA, the hardware isn't any better than the ones writing the tunes and the ones providing customer service for them! That's the bottom line in my opinion!

Look at it like this, you can take a pile of dung and put it in a shiny box...but it's still crap. Likewise with tuners. One shop can offer the coolest looking gadget out there, but if the tunes and service suck...it's just crap.

OK, let the discussion begin! Tell us which one you like and Why. Keep in mind someone new may come along and read this...and this just may be the deciding factor in their purchase!

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EFI Live, EZ Lynk, or MM3 Tuner Info - Which is better and Why?

Great idea for a thread Ray, I know I did a ton of research before I picked the MM3. I don't know a ton about the ezlynk but the few reasons I chose the mm3 over efi was because I liked the simplicity of changing files with your tuner. Ray is down in North Carolina and I'm waaaay up in Canada. If I need something tweaked or changed he's just an email away. From what I understood about the efi platform was you needed to send the autocal back to your tuner to re-flash it with your updated tune and then send it back to you to flash your truck. If you plan on slowly adding more performance mods like I do I can easily get my tunes updated through email. In terms of hardware, I like the look of the mm3 display. If I was to go the efi route you need the bullydog (which is one ugly display if you ask me) to unlock the truck, an autocal to flash your tunes, and I would have wanted an edge juice with attitude as my display. That's a lot of hardware when the mm3 covered all three things with one piece of hardware. The third reason I chose the mm3 was the RT function. You can store more than the 5 tunes efi would do with a CSP5 switch on your dash and you don't need the switch it's all right on your display. With data logging out now for the mm3 it makes sending your tuner (who lives a long way away) a spread sheet of how your trucks performing to help tweak tunes for you. That's why I would go with the mm3, in my option it's the best option out there right now. Unfortunately not many people know about it but when I show people my truck it defiantly blows them away what I can do with that tuner. 🤙

2016 3500 CCLB AS69RC 3:42 | MM3 Tuned by DoubleRDiesel | 5" Flopro TBE |

2016 3500 SRW CCLB 3:42 AS69RC. 5" Flopro straight pipe, MM3 tuned by DoubleRDiesel. Plans for a 700+hp daily driver.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BraedenDore View Post
    Great idea for a thread Ray, I know I did a ton of research before I picked the MM3. I don't know a ton about the ezlynk but the few reasons I chose the mm3 over efi was because I liked the simplicity of changing files with your tuner. Ray is down in North Carolina and I'm waaaay up in Canada. If I need something tweaked or changed he's just an email away. From what I understood about the efi platform was you needed to send the autocal back to your tuner to re-flash it with your updated tune and then send it back to you to flash your truck. If you plan on slowly adding more performance mods like I do I can easily get my tunes updated through email. In terms of hardware, I like the look of the mm3 display. If I was to go the efi route you need the bullydog (which is one ugly display if you ask me) to unlock the truck, an autocal to flash your tunes, and I would have wanted an edge juice with attitude as my display. That's a lot of hardware when the mm3 covered all three things with one piece of hardware. The third reason I chose the mm3 was the RT function. You can store more than the 5 tunes efi would do with a CSP5 switch on your dash and you don't need the switch it's all right on your display. With data logging out now for the mm3 it makes sending your tuner (who lives a long way away) a spread sheet of how your trucks performing to help tweak tunes for you. That's why I would go with the mm3, in my option it's the best option out there right now. Unfortunately not many people know about it but when I show people my truck it defiantly blows them away what I can do with that tuner. 🤙

You still can update EFI though email. You even if your not the tuner can upload them to you auto cal no problem.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

With all 3 platforms, tune files are just always just an internet connection away. With the MM3 and EFI we merely email tune files. With Ezlynk, tune files are sent via their cloud server.

Same goes with data logging with all 3.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, INLINE_6 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I stand corrected

2016 3500 SRW CCLB 3:42 AS69RC. 5" Flopro straight pipe, MM3 tuned by DoubleRDiesel. Plans for a 700+hp daily driver.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Snow Dodge, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I purchased the MM3 from Ray with the emissions compliant because I wanted to keep my 6/100,000 warranty on my 2016 Ram 3500 but wanted to disconnect the EGR so I don't have that crap recirculating back into my engine. Yes you will go through a lot more DEF but it's worth it in my opinion. It's an awesome tune and I did a lot of research before making my decision on this MM3. Ray knows his stuff and has the best customer service anywhere! Eventually I will do a full delete when my warranty expires and you better believe I will purchase that from Ray when the time comes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Great subject of conversation Ray. My buddy has a LML duramax and went with ezlynk. We were talking to a friend that has a new 6.7 and was wanting a tuner. My buddy immediately said get ezlynk it's easy and the best. I asked him what makes it the best..he said like usual the tunes how you get them and all. I said well mm3 is just as easy but most of all is the guy behind it the customer service the passion for the want to help. Hands down I'll go with that guy cause I know about him and why would I risk that for a shot in the dark chance I'll get that with ezlynk.. make sense. I encourage people to do the work and research what you are getting. Ray doesn't hide anything and is always available. Go read about them all make an EDUCATED decision not word of mouth decision. You will find if you read in here Ray has it together and has a great product and a lot of knowledge to offer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I think it depends on how old your truck is also. For 2013 and newer it sounds like Warp Tuning is the only way to go. For 07.5-09 trucks there isn't much to work with. For 10-12 trucks there still needs to be an improved too... timing can't be changed in RT files and trans tuning needs more parameters to make it perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong Ray.

As far as the display, the MM3 is awesome, but there's room for improvement. The readings seem too sensitive, even on the lowest setting... especially rail pressure.

RaceME could take a page out of the old H&S handbook by having a constant display of present gear and a TC Locked icon, rather than watching TC slip in a dedicated gauge position.

Only another thing I can think of is the few seconds of delay between RT changes... When other platforms happen instantaneously.
    Most of this stuff can be changed and improved. We just gotta wait for the engineers to make it happen.

Some of this is my personal opinion and the rest is what I think I know... so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, Ray at Double R Diesel is my go to Tuner Guy!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    I think it depends on how old your truck is also. For 2013 and newer it sounds like Warp Tuning is the only way to go. For 07.5-09 trucks there isn't much to work with. For 10-12 trucks there still needs to be an improved too... timing can't be changed in RT files and trans tuning needs more parameters to make it perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong Ray.

As far as the display, the MM3 is awesome, but there's room for improvement. The readings seem too sensitive, even on the lowest setting... especially rail pressure.

RaceME could take a page out of the old H&S handbook by having a constant display of present gear and a TC Locked icon, rather than watching TC slip in a dedicated gauge position.

Only another thing I can think of is the few seconds of delay between RT changes... When other platforms happen instantaneously.
    Most of this stuff can be changed and improved. We just gotta wait for the engineers to make it happen.

Some of this is my personal opinion and the rest is what I think I know... so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, Ray at Double R Diesel is my go to Tuner Guy!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Yes Ezlynk does not even have any 3rd Gen or older support to my knowledge...as where EFI Live goes back to the 2006 model 5.9. MM3 can tune all the way back to a 1998.5 VP truck with UDC Pro if ya want.

EFI Live CSP and Ezlynk switch a limited number of programs on the fly by accessing different areas of info flashed into the ROM (Read Only Memory). This makes the change quicker but is limited by the amount of ROM...which limits you to a hand full of tunes without doing a full flash on the ecm.

MM3 changes tunes on the fly in what is called Real Time or RT. This is a different process in which tunes are written into the RAM (Random Access Memory). RAM writes are not instant and take a few seconds to complete but can be done on the fly. The plus of this process, it allows tons and tons of things to be changed on the fly as were the other two platforms are limited.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I did a lot of research on devices and the guys that were available for writing tunes beforehand

I went with the Ultra for my 09. Yes there are some setbacks for 3rd generation trucks not yet worked out

The Ultra is however a very promising platform. It offers a lot of things people may be looking for. One major reason I personally went with it is the endless room for tunes on the SD card with custom tuning. If that's files from the tuner or that I ask to be written specifically for my needs. I'm only limited by the room of the card

Ray Double R Diesel is the tuner I went with. I did reach out to see if he was offering EFI again. Which he isn't anymore
    My reasons were 2. One that as above I mentioned. 3rd generation trucks with the RaceME platform are limited by not having transmission support as of yet. And I was wanting to try out the EFI platform as an alternative. Both for transmission capabilities and faster tune loading. Although with RT on the Ultra it is fast

Certain tunes on 3rd generation trucks are required to be ECM files which means 5-7 minutes to load rather than a few seconds
    Turbo mapping is not RT capable and must be done through ECM only. So even with box tuning it's a 5-7 minute wait to write. And 3rd generation in box tuning form does not support RT. Only way to get RT is with WARP

I can't speak for the EZ Lynk as it's so new and I'd like seeing more real world before I try it myself. Things always progress though and parts of it seem promising

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast