Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel fill-up add power?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Diesel fill-up add power?

This is kinda a two part question. The other day, I filled up a full tank at a petro station I've used before, and I drove a bit without sending a tune (MM3, DoubleRDiesel), and it was like driving a different better vehicle. Power, throttle response, gas mileage everything, felt like a new truck. That's before sending a tune. Can/Does a full tank actually do anything noticeable like that? It was obvious. And that's where the other part comes in...

I have the MM3, and i can't tell or "feel" a difference when sending tunes about 8/10 times. Feels like the truck is stock, stock as in breathing exhaust gas, poor throttle response, etc. Only sometimes when I send a tune it will work, as in that excitement you get by feeling it work! Do y'all fee a noticeable difference with tunes? I don't know what my question is really or where to go. Talk to Ray? Call MM3? Re-install the tuner? Any thoughts would be appreciated, helpful or hurtful. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Diesel fill-up add power?

I sent this from my phone. I was unaware I was in the exterior modification section. I'll dig into moving it when I get home. Apologies!

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Did you use a different station than usual? Meaning filling up with different fuel than the previous tank

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat87 View Post
    This is kinda a two part question. The other day, I filled up a full tank at a petro station I've used before, and I drove a bit without sending a tune (MM3, DoubleRDiesel), and it was like driving a different better vehicle. Power, throttle response, gas mileage everything, felt like a new truck. That's before sending a tune. Can/Does a full tank actually do anything noticeable like that? It was obvious. And that's where the other part comes in...

I have the MM3, and i can't tell or "feel" a difference when sending tunes about 8/10 times. Feels like the truck is stock, stock as in breathing exhaust gas, poor throttle response, etc. Only sometimes when I send a tune it will work, as in that excitement you get by feeling it work! Do y'all fee a noticeable difference with tunes? I don't know what my question is really or where to go. Talk to Ray? Call MM3? Re-install the tuner? Any thoughts would be appreciated, helpful or hurtful. Thanks!

You dont use an obd splitter do you?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

long and short, with fuel, yes its possible. Diesel is not regulated as well as gasoline and I have had similar experiences. I track MPG Every tank and drive the same route regularly to and from work so a lot of my tanks are similar to almost identical driving conditions and winter blend I had a 2MPG difference based on where I filled up. The summer blend I am seeing almost 4mpg difference although the temperature has a further spread as well. I have noticed locally quick check fuel seems to offer me the highest mpg and good power. Fuel on 10 (local chain) is dismal all of my lowest mpg tanks are from 1 of their stations

As for sending the tunes to the truck, I always notice, my base tune is 30, and I notice the 60, 90 and 120 being loaded If your base tune is higher you may not notice it as much because it is already well improved over stock. If you think it is sucking through the EGR, monitor it. have you tried to flash the ECM tune again then try using the RT tunes?

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    long and short, with fuel, yes its possible. Diesel is not regulated as well as gasoline and I have had similar experiences. I track MPG Every tank and drive the same route regularly to and from work so a lot of my tanks are similar to almost identical driving conditions and winter blend I had a 2MPG difference based on where I filled up. The summer blend I am seeing almost 4mpg difference although the temperature has a further spread as well. I have noticed locally quick check fuel seems to offer me the highest mpg and good power. Fuel on 10 (local chain) is dismal all of my lowest mpg tanks are from 1 of their stations

As for sending the tunes to the truck, I always notice, my base tune is 30, and I notice the 60, 90 and 120 being loaded If your base tune is higher you may not notice it as much because it is already well improved over stock. If you think it is sucking through the EGR, monitor it. have you tried to flash the ECM tune again then try using the RT tunes?
    This is correct. The statement of regulation

There is not a regulated formula for diesel fuel by government or state. Each oil company blends their own way and it can actually be slightly different each time depending on the engineering setting everything up
    Or by the company ordering the fuel for their locations. BP, Casey's, etc....

Vehicles of certain years are designed to run on B5, B11, B20. Older diesels aren't designed for biodiesel. Example my 09 is B5 compatible. Most stations if you look the stickers say biodiesel between B11 & B20
    I only go to Casey's locally since it's bio-free then run an additive

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Video with some good information that's accurate as far as the fuel information. The additive is all up to you. Some are better than others. I have posted numbers for my truck and driving using different ones over several thousand miles in same conditions for each

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I have used this station before, but I believe it was two fillups ago. I'll check out the video when I get home...government computers don't allow you to view videos and have fun...wait, I'm at work, I'm not on the computer

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I do not use an OBDII splitter. Why do you ask? What would be a reason for doing so? I'm up for suggestions.

Last edited by steamboat87; 06-17-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: didn't tag reply poster. Still cant figure out how to...

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

One thing that is general not known is fuel at each station is NOT from the stations refineries. I live in a state that does not have any refineries. But we have fuel stations that are brand names, bp, Exxon, Shell .....

Since they do not have refineries within this area, they still need supplies for their contracts.

Enter "The Spot Market"

This is a common market that pulls from an underground piping system supplied by all refineries throughout the country. They put in base stock gasoline or diesel they have above their contract amount for their own stations, either personally owned or contract agree stations. Most stations are under contract ... but privately owned.

The station calls in an order, or it is agreed that they will have delivered a specific amount, minimum each month, and agree quanities shipped at specific days and time. The companies will set this up with the specific Spot Market blending/ delivery point in that area and it begins. The spot market will draw from the under ground line and hold this in storage tanks. Then when a truck pulls up to be filled, will set their blenders for the additives required from the ordering companies and start filling the trucks with the agreed blend. This can or will be changed with each tanker being filled. The truck will then deliver the blended fuel to the station on the ordering form.

So in truth:
    1. you might have the base stock blend from every refinery that is in this country in one order.
    2. you might have the specific additives ordered from the company .. or maybe not, depends how good the blenders, how accurate the machines are and their document.
    3. you might have a delivery ment for one station mistakenly delivered to another.
    4. actually, most blends are so close to each other in the area, it's almost buying the same fuel at a different station and a different price.
    5. and due to governmental regulations imposed on fuel suppliers, there are 50 different blends of gasoline in the United States so far. (subject to future govermental control)

Also, the chemicals used for fuel additives are from the same additive suppliers for all gasoline/diesel fuel suppliers. But the % per gallon is what is different. One company will add "X" amount more of one chemical than another company will, thus being 'their patented blend'. (The company I worked for, and many others, did this to get out of a law suit in the past.)

Now I've been retired for over a decade, but I don't think nor heard that this has changed yet.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Thanks steamboat87 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast