Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Strange noise coming from passenger side while driving at low speed near structures

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Strange noise coming from passenger side while driving at low speed near structures

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB

So this is what's happening when driving at low speed usually less than 30mph near building structures, guard rails and through tunnels I keep hearing this repetitive noise like there's something rubbing or sticking as the rotating assembly turns. the noise is amplified off solid structures nearby on the passenger side. I hear it with the windows down and on/off throttle <30mph. It sounds like there's something rubbing maybe in the rear passenger wheel area, almost like there is a gum stuck on the tire and every time the tire spins and hits that spot on the ground it causes the sticking noise. I had ti going on for a long time and the dealership can't figure it out. My jeep wrangler had the same issue and I replaced the wheel bearing and all of the u-joints front/back but this did not resolve the noise on my Jeep. I want to figure this out but Google seems to have no answers as I've been searching and maybe my interpretation of the noise is what's hurting the resolution.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Strange noise coming from passenger side while driving at low speed near structur

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but it sounds like there is a rock stuck in the tread of the tire from your description of the noise.

3. Likes 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Strange noise coming from passenger side while driving at low speed near structur

Another idea was when I was having a noise I and the dealer could not find. (Heck, this was about 40 years ago.) There was a slight tapping sound as I drove.

With everything that could have been checked by me and the drealership, I rotated tires ... and the noise changed area.

My problem was a bad tire from the manufacture.
    The dealer replaced .. and .. the world was good again.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My dad had an issue similar to this on a Buick he bought many years ago. Turned out that a lug nut fell off behind the wheel cover and was rattling around at slower speeds.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I was thinking the tire probability too since they are the stock Firestones from the factory. I have an appt tomorrow at the dealer for a leaking fuel filler neck so I'll try to have them investigate the noise again while it's there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Nope no rocks, and if so then it's been a rock stuck in the tire since February 2016