Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Specs Everywhere On The Paint

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Rust Specs Everywhere On The Paint

I got my dual orbital out yesterday, and I noticed every foot or two was a tiny rust spec not noticeable from a foot or two away.

It's a white truck, so while cleaning up close, you can see it.

The truck has 20k miles, sat for 4 years with the previous owner.

Just wondering if this is common or what would cause this on all surfaces.

I'm worried they go down to the metal and will rust out, but hoping it's just iron dust of some sort, maybe from being on a train or near something that makes the dust, and it made the rust spots while it sat?

If they are deep, maybe use a threaded needle to pick the rust out, use a little rust inhibitor jelly, paint, and 2 part clear coat and sand the pinhole-sized paint down, then buff and wax.

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-650Y using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I've got an 08 4500 c/c and mine has little rust spots in several locations. And it's also white. For the first 4 years I washed it once a week but now more like once a month. Mainly on the hood and roof. We had a 2001 2500 that was white and also had the same problem. Makes you wonder about their white paint. Oh yeah, mine actually went down to the metal too. Your sounds like a surface problem. Mine actually bubbled the paint from the metal out. Dealership said it was something I did. Haven't bought another truck from those geniuses either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Most likely someone used a grinder close enough to the truck for the grinding dust to get on it.

you can give it a clay bath and most likely get it out.
    I bought a 2005 that had that on there, it was also white, I did a clay bath on it and got rid of all of it.

Its a workout though and and time consuming, you can buy the clay bath kit at the parts store.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Did everyone here with past white paint issues used a buffer or something like that on their trucks ?
    I have a '06 white truck and have hand washed and waxed it every time.
    I haven't had any issue like this as of yet.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Did everyone here with past white paint issues used a buffer or something like that on their trucks ?
    I have a '06 white truck and have hand washed and waxed it every time.
    I haven't had any issue like this as of yet.
    Mine was before the buffer, I noticed it once I started detailing it closely, this was only my second wash on this newish truck

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-650Y using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I took mine to one of those 30 minute car wash places one time. I'm beginning to wonder if those guys used something on it that damaged my clear coat. Of course, I've welded and ground all around my truck so it's probably all of the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Well, I was weondering if using the wheel could embed particles ? Or if the wheel was well worn and used, could embed something into the paint.

Does anyone else with other colors find this is a problem with their paint .. or only with the color white ????

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thundervee View Post
    Most likely someone used a grinder close enough to the truck for the grinding dust to get on it.

you can give it a clay bath and most likely get it out.
    I bought a 2005 that had that on there, it was also white, I did a clay bath on it and got rid of all of it.

Its a workout though and and time consuming, you can buy the clay bath kit at the parts store.
    That's what I was thinking too. You can get hammered when they work on bridges too. The hot metal can stick to the paint. Yup. Even while you're moving

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Likes Thundervee liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

if you live in an area where they tar and chip or there is a lot of particulate on the road, road salt mix, etc this happens.
    The stubborn often times unnoticeable particulate sticks to the paint. over time it rusts. its not the paint its self rusting, its the substance stuck to the paint. a good clay bar, buff, and/or wax should do the trick.

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I see this all the time when buffing light colored vehicles. More likely then not, its brake/rail dust that clung/embeded into the paint. I use a product called Iron X which gets the rusted particles out of the paint then you just wash it as normal to remove any remnants.

2016 2500HD Tradesman, 6.7, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 68RFE, MAG-HYTEC pan, RevMax Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass, RevMax valve body, 4.10, RaceME, Rays tune, HPP EGR/Cooler Delete, XDP Throttle Valve Delete, FloPro 5", 295/65R20 Ridge Grappler

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Stewbuntu thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Stewbuntu, cbitt liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast