Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust Specs Everywhere On The Paint

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Rust Specs Everywhere On The Paint

They are coming out with rubbing. I'll try the ironX too. Thanks!

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-650Y using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

It’s “Rail Dust”
    Very common on white vehicles.
    After manufacturing, vehicles are put on a train to be delivered to their location in the US. As a train goes down the tracks it creates very fine metal particles that float in the air to the passing train cars, where ur truck was housed during shipment. The metal particles actually become imbedded in the paint during shipment. I dealt with these all the time when I worked at a GM Dealer body shop

The solution is to take a baking soda and water mixture. It is not a hard or difficult process if you are trained to deal with it but should be left up to a professional body shop or a professional detailer
    Google “rail dust on automobile” and you will find your answer there

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab Short Bed w Gooseneck towing prep/Full Metal Jacket spray in Bed liner/TruXedo low profile bed cover

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

This is a common issue with a lot of vehicles, I know that body shops around here actually have a special cleaner designed to care of it.

Make sure to like us on Facebook!
    Want a good daily dose of custom trucks? Check our Instagram!
    We sell wheels& tires, lift kits, custom lighting, grills, light bars and more! Right Here!

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Yep. I had the rail dust bombardment on my 16 Ram. I have NO idea why they don't put some temporary wrap on the horizontal surfaces on these trucks. It probably took me an hour to clay the hood and the tops of the rear fenders. This pic shows what came off a 2'x2' hood section!!!

2016 Ram 3500 DRW/Aisin
    2015 SRT GC
    2016 Charger Hellcat
    2018 Trackhawk GC in route.
    2017 Durango Citadel AWD
    "Mopar or no car"

5. Likes Power247 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NC4stroker View Post
    Yep. I had the rail dust bombardment on my 16 Ram. I have NO idea why they don't put some temporary wrap on the horizontal surfaces on these trucks. It probably took me an hour to clay the hood and the tops of the rear fenders. This pic shows what came off a 2'x2' hood section!!!

Wow that is very impressive and messed up good demonstration

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

7. Likes NC4stroker liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

1)Wash
    2)IronX
    3)Clay Bar/Clay Mitt
    4)Buff with your DA
    5)Wax
    6)Enjoy your beautiful looking paint

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, NC4stroker thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, NC4stroker liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I've had this multiple times on a few different trucks.

Not sure what it is or what causes it.

What I have found to work the best is a good detail spray and a synthetic clay bar (takes much less effort than your traditional clay bar), and a bunch of elbow grease, and they will all come out.

Once you're done, you'll want to polish or wax the truck since the clay bar is removing basically all contaminants and wax from the paint.

My favorite was the turtle ice premium care liquid wax.

You can put it on plastic, and it will not leave any white residue, and it will make it shine about like you put armor all on it.

11. Thanks Power247, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #18

95 percent of the time, it’s a reaction with brake dust.

Silver is probably the worst I’ve experienced.

I have had 3 silver Ford’s and a silver 3rd Gen do it and the silver two-tone on my 4th Gen.

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Clay it.

It will take an hour or so, but you will not believe how my junk is embedded in your paint.

These trucks usually arrive new with these rust specs from the train ride up here from south of the border.

Edit -- dang, I didn't notice this thread was several years old.

Last edited by Hardtime; 06-13-2021 at 12:25 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb a$$

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12