Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Methanol in fuel

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Methanol in fuel

What would happen is a small amount of methanol was in the diesel fuel? Besides for the truck running better, can it damage anything?
    @AccurateDiesel ???

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Methanol in fuel

Methanol is lighter than gasoline.
    Methanol is flammable and will ignite, but is lower in btu's than gasoline / diesel .. but has a flash point / point of ignition that is real low.
    So I would consider it will pre-ignite prior to the diesel in your blend, with a minimum of ignition knock, 'depending' on % mixture that is in your tank.

So I'd say it depends on the amount / percent mixture in your tank .. relative to the amount of damage.

Question: Why would a person want to do this ? If you remember, with the original ethel (lead) blend you got the most mpg ... then the MTBE blend that dropped the mpg and added cost ... then the oxygenated blend the dropped the mpg's more and cost even more .. and now, 'the methanol blend' the most costly per gallon and highest drop in the mpg's ..... is there that much of an avantage to use this, considering what it could do to the engine ?

What are your thinking older than I ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Likes KimWar1911 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

First thought is that methanol is highly corrosive - fuel systems that use it must be specifically designed to handle it. Off-hand I would say that using it in an factory diesel fuel injection system would likely result in additional profit potential for your favorite diesel fuel injection shop

5. Likes Noneck liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The government doesn't have an exact formula mandated for diesel fuels how they are made. Which is part of why you don't see MPG ratings on build/new car sales stickers

That's why one station you'll have a ton of power and great mileage. The other the truck falls on it's face

Methanol has to be introduced with water which has obvious disadvantages of rust. There's things that can be added to help that
    Methanol has an exact science of how it's forumlated and burn/flashpoint to where it will combust

It has to be sprayed separately into the chamber just like NOS. While the pistons are moving and going through the combustion cycle the water/methanol mix starts to reach saturation point changing from liquid to a gas. When it then combusts and all the extra oxygen from the water give a huge boost in power

Boost and EGT will be quite a bit higher so you have to be set up for it

There's several very important things when using water methanol not to blow your engine up or have a huge fire. Best not to build a kit yourself unless you know what you're doing or understand fuels 100%

7. Likes Noneck liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    The government doesn't have an exact formula mandated for diesel fuels how they are made. Which is part of why you don't see MPG ratings on build/new car sales stickers

That's why one station you'll have a ton of power and great mileage. The other the truck falls on it's face

Methanol has to be introduced with water which has obvious disadvantages of rust. There's things that can be added to help that
    Methanol has an exact science of how it's forumlated and burn/flashpoint to where it will combust

It has to be sprayed separately into the chamber just like NOS. While the pistons are moving and going through the combustion cycle the water/methanol mix starts to reach saturation point changing from liquid to a gas. When it then combusts and all the extra oxygen from the water give a huge boost in power

Boost and EGT will be quite a bit higher so you have to be set up for it

There's several very important things when using water methanol not to blow your engine up or have a huge fire. Best not to build a kit yourself unless you know what you're doing or understand fuels 100%
    Very good info. I am not, by any means, a chemist. I'm an electrical engineer. I can build a system and have done so. That's why I'm stuck with 25 gallons of rocket fuel I want to get rid of somehow. I hate to waste it. Not wild about injecting it into the truck.

It's not the drugs, it's the cough syrup. Dumb Idea on my part. Not the first time I've had one. . . . LOL

Thanks guys. . . Keep it coming.

So being smart, I thought I would ask. LOrd knows I know allot about a lot of things.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Likes Noneck liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

General rule for a proper mix is a 50/50 water and methanol. In a very fine spray
    You can add fuel mileage if it's right. Think of it the same way as liquor being added to gasoline thinning the mix increasing the flashpoint and getting more RPM. Water/methanol breaks the diesel down inside the combustion chamber prior to detonation and makes it burn more and more completely. Getting rid on carbon and contaminates. And with a heavy load it can actually decrease EGT