Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 16 ram sub wiring opinions

1. Top Of Page | #121

User Info Menu

Re: 16 ram sub wiring opinions

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r300-4

With the newer rams I was told with all of the boosted variable signals programmed in the head unit. I'm going to need to go with a sound processor.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #122

User Info Menu

Went to an audio shop, guy was super nice had a few people take a listen and said they havent had good luck with high level ins and to try my loc

3. Top Of Page | #123

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thake618 View Post
    http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r300-4

With the newer rams I was told with all of the boosted variable signals programmed in the head unit. I'm going to need to go with a sound processor.....

I just read the manual for the amp in the link you provided... Nowhere in the manual does it say that this amp supports high level (speaker) inputs. This would explain the distortion you are getting. You need to use a LOC to convert the front & rear speaker signals and use them to feed into the RCA inputs on the amp.

I thought this might be the case when you said the switch had 3 settings LP/AP/HP. These settings are for the internal crossover on that set of channels. You would want to set that to AP (all pass) since the factory radio already limits the frequencies going to the speakers.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Top Of Page | #124

User Info Menu

Well it has high level inputs right on the back, comes with harnesses and everything to hook up. Needless to say I hooked up using a 2 channel pac audio LOC and it's deffinatley better but not up to par yet I hope I can get it tuned in. Have my gains about a quarter on the amp and half on the loc. Any suggestions on that?

5. Top Of Page | #125

User Info Menu

Hmmm...I will double check the manual again when I can get back in front of my pc.....

It's been a long time since I used an LOC in one of my systems but this was my method:
    1. turn both gains all the way down.
    2. turn the hu up to about 75% of max.
    3. Starting with the LOC, slowly turn up the gain until you start to hear some distortion can then turn it back down slightly until the distortion goes away
    4. Repeat the process with the gain on your amp.

I would do this process with very dynamic music played straight from the HU. CD is best but mp3 from a USB stick will work too. Avoid Bluetooth music for setting gains as too many variables can be introduced.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

6. Top Of Page | #126

User Info Menu

Well it has high level inputs right on the back, comes with harnesses and everything to hook up. Needless to say I hooked up using a 2 channel pac audio LOC and it's deffinatley better but not up to par yet I hope I can get it tuned in. Have my gains about a quarter on the amp and half on the loc. Any suggestions on that?

I thinking you linked the wrong amp before.... is this the amp that you purchased? http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r300x4 I see it has high level inputs and tons of other settings/ wiring configurations. If we can get the settings on the amp to work with the high level inputs that might be best since it would take the LOC out of the mix. Going to a full processing unit can help take the factory eq/crossover settings out of the mix but will take a lot of time to get tuned correctly.

I am happy to figure this out with you but not sure it can be done on the forum like this. If you want, shoot me a PM and i can send you my number if you want to talk it through.

Greg

7. Top Of Page | #127

User Info Menu

Sorry i am just now seeing this. What i have come up with, i cant get the system properly tuned with the high level inputs on the amp, just sounds awful. everything is in phase i double checked all of my wiring and i seem to be good there. i stopped by a local audio shop on Saturday and he was very helpful, he had a couple of his guys come out and listen to it (before i switched to the LOC). he said he has never had any luck with the high level inputs and recommended a LOC. I had a 4 channel one at the house so i went back to the shop to give it a shot. After i got everything in it seems to sound better however i still cant seem to get as much out of it as i would like. im not getting the volume i should be. It does not sound much different than stock. im going to monkey around with it today after work, but im at the point where i am wasting time. worst case ill take it to the shop i went to and have them go through everything and dial it in. Hell i may just have them hook everything up behind the head unit. i didn't know that was the best way to do it anyway. I love doing things myself and i love new projects but this is getting irritating. When everyone seems to have no issues with their installs i have every one you could think of! LOL. im not sure if they changed something from 15 to 16 but one of the guys i was talking too said he had a similar problem with an install on a 16 wrangler. He said he swapped the head unit and problem solved. Not going that route because the only head unit i would swap with would be the alpine restyle and im not sinking 2k into a head unit, cant do it LOL.....ugh....

8. Likes Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #128

User Info Menu

No problem man, integrating with a factory hu is usually a real pain. Hopefully the shoe can get you squared away. My offer still stands otherwise.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

10. Top Of Page | #129

User Info Menu

@Power247
    How did you secure your amps to the back of the cab?

11. Top Of Page | #130

User Info Menu

Is the distortion in the tweeters or the mids

A cheap thing you can try throwing on them is a set of bass blockers. That way you can still give them a bit of power and not worry so much about it being quite so dirty

It's a bandaid

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast