Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Turbo and Actuator

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo and Actuator

We have a 2008 Fleetwood motor home. The motor is a Cummins ISB 350hp. I was getting a "high temp/coolent" indication on my dashboard display. This would only come on when the RV was pulling a grade. Flat highway was no problem. The service folks said it was a faulty Turbo/actuator. They said it could cause the motor to overheat because the parts were bad. The parts were extremely expensive, but we had little choice and we ok'd the repair. We
    departed Las Vegas and got 50 miles out when the exact same fault occurred. Seriously, the exact symptom. We turned around and went back. They
    determined that the actuator they installed was faulty. They installed a new one. Once again we leave Las Vegas and get 50 miles out and at preciously
    the same spot as before the same fault is on my display. Back to Vegas. As a precaution, I took the RV to Freightliner the next morning. Within an hour, they had determined the problem was a bad fan clutch. I told the other service center what I found the problem to be and, as I expected, they stood by their
    original diagnoisis- that the turbo/actuator was bad. They told me if I bought the fan clutch that they would install it at no charge to me because quite frankly they realized that given the events that had transpired over the past several days that it did not look good for them from our point of view. I still think we were sold very expensive parts that didn't need to be replaced. I certainly would appreciate any feedback on this topic from the forum. Thanks for reading my post.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo and Actuator

While I don't know much about the turbo and actuator, I fail to see how that would cause the motor to overheat. Bad fan clutch, yes - if the fan doesn't engage when pulling a grade then it'll get hot. On my truck, it engages when engine temp hit 217*.

Sorry to hear about your experience. We're going to be north of Vegas for 3 months starting in September. What's the name of this shop so I can be sure to avoid if I need service work done?

Regards,

Bob

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler
    Pulling a 2011 HitchHiker 31.5 UKTG Fifth Wheel
    Full-time RVer since 9/22/14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply Bob. This may come as a shock to you but it was the Cummins dealer in Las Vegas. I don't know how to proceed with this other then bring it to the attention of Cummins Corporate. Any advice in that dept? And BTW, I failed to mention in my original posting that after the fan clutch was replaced all of my problems were solved. We continued with our trip up to Washington with no further overheating issues.

Regards,

Ken

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply Bob. This may come as a shock to you but it was the Cummins dealer in Las Vegas. I don't know how to proceed with this other then bring it to the attention of Cummins Corporate. Any advice in that dept? And BTW, I failed to mention in my original posting that after the fan clutch was replaced all of my problems were solved. We continued with our trip up to Washington with no further overheating issues.

Regards,

Ken

5. Top Of Page | #5

Looks like the Cummins dealer in Vegas wrongly diagnosed a fault and charged you for parts that did not need to be replaced. I know VGT actuators/turbo are not cheap and you wouldn't have seen much change out of quite a few thousand dollars so I would be contacting either the dealer or corporate to make a complaint. Probably worth starting at the dealer level and go from there.

6. Thanks Kendiana thanked for this post
    Likes Kendiana liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lost mechanic View Post
    Looks like the Cummins dealer in Vegas wrongly diagnosed a fault and charged you for parts that did not need to be replaced. I know VGT actuators/turbo are not cheap and you wouldn't have seen much change out of quite a few thousand dollars so I would be contacting either the dealer or corporate to make a complaint. Probably worth starting at the dealer level and go from there.
    Welcome to the family bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I'd suspect they either had no clue what they were doing. Meaning couldn't find the issue. Or were just trying to upsell unnecessary parts. Which dealerships are notorious for doing