Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Rancho RS5000X Shock vs Bilstein 4600

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Rancho RS5000X Shock vs Bilstein 4600

I'm looking for new shocks and have it narrowed down to these two. No real off road, logging roads is as close as I get and about 90% on road with 10% of that towing an RV trailer. I don't have a lift kit, just larger LT285/75R17 E tires. I know a lot of guys on here are fans of the Bilstein and I know they make a good shock. This newer Rancho seems a big improvement over the basic 5000 series and very well priced. Please note this is not the standard RS5000 shock, but the newer design RS5000X
    I was looking for comments and observations on both if possible.

2. Likes rtdrags liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Rancho RS5000X Shock vs Bilstein 4600

Let's ask @CJC Off Road?

🏁Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!🏁

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I just went with a set of KYB Gas-a-just. They have another lever above that

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I'll buy bilstein all day long over rancho. On my 2nd set, 1st set was the 4600 series. The ride was great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

6. Likes Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I just went with a set of KYB Gas-a-just. They have another lever above that
    I hadn't considered KYB until I started reading about them. They appear to be a very good shock for reasonable money. What made you pick the Gas-a-Just over the MonoMax?

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    I hadn't considered KYB until I started reading about them. They appear to be a very good shock for reasonable money. What made you pick the Gas-a-Just over the MonoMax?

I don't remember which model the MonoMax is. Is that the top? I chose the gas a just because I was afraid the top one may be too aggressive for my needs. I don't off road, I have a 2WD truck, I'm old. But I enjoy my truck when I go on trips. I just felt it needed a bit more that the Monroe Magnums are delivering. They've been in there going on 5 years now, but they seem to be starting to fail. The clue is the tires are cupping on the left front too.

The Gas A Just arrived here yesterday, Maybe tomorrow i'll put them in.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Likes Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

MonoMax is the top and Gas-A-Just is one down. I think the biggest difference is the MonoMax is made from galvanized tubing and valved slightly stiffer. You should be good with the Gas-A-Just on a 2wd. From what I've been reading KYB's are at least the equal of the Bilsteins for quality, but are valved differently. They sure are priced well.

11. Likes Power247 liked this post