Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rough shut down

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Rough shut down

Hey, I'm hoping someone has experienced this issue before when turning off their truck. Every time I shut down the truck the motor feels like it comes to a really solid stop. It pretty much shakes the entire truck. There is some minor belt squeal but I'm not to worried about that part. It started this spring when the weather started to warm up. I have tried letting it idle for 30 seconds before shutting it down but it didn't make a difference.

Any thoughts??

The truck is a 2004 ram 3500 5.9l 24v common rail.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Rough shut down

Mine does this year round. The only time it doesn't do it is when I'm up in a high altitude. Otherwise it's an abrupt shutdown, truck shakes and the belt chirps. If you Google the symptoms you'll see it's common on our trucks. Mostly third gen if I recall correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

My 09 has a very mild shake/vibration. Very low miles but it's a diesel I never gave it much thought

Using bio free in mine it's much less evident than if I have no choice but using biodiesel. I always do my best to run bio free. Since it's not really designed to run over B5 and everywhere sells between B11 to God knows what mix. Signs posted give a range but not exact amount

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I noticed that my 2012 started doing that as soon as I deleted it... Been shaking for over 4 years now at shut off.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Royalsevens View Post
    Hey, I'm hoping someone has experienced this issue before when turning off their truck. Every time I shut down the truck the motor feels like it comes to a really solid stop. It pretty much shakes the entire truck. There is some minor belt squeal but I'm not to worried about that part. It started this spring when the weather started to warm up. I have tried letting it idle for 30 seconds before shutting it down but it didn't make a difference.

Any thoughts??

The truck is a 2004 ram 3500 5.9l 24v common rail.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mine is an 03 and I get the same thing. Honestly? You want to start getting concerned when it doesn't shake or squeak when you shut down

By the way, the squeak id the inertia built up in the belted accessories and the engine stopping abruptly. The accessories keep turning and the belt isn't. Hence squeak.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Gotta love this place. Just got my 16 yoa a 2004 and he asked about the belt squeaking when shutting down. I told him ahh it's normal. This confirms what I told him.