Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will turn over but won't start

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Will turn over but won't start

I bought a 89 2500 automatic 2 wheel drive 12 valve yesterday and I bought it knowing the injector pump was bad but it came with a new one. So I started messing with it today and decided to put everything the previous owner took apart back together just to make sure. So i hook everything back up and notice it has some weird fuel line stuff going on so I went to sort that out and ended up dropping the tank because the fuel was so bad. It looked like oil. Put a new fuel filter in it and new lift pump and dropped a fuel line into so nice clean new diesel and it's getting fuel to the injectors but just won't fire it will turn over all day long. What are some things I should check. I've never had a first gen before and my only other 12 valve never needed much work. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Will turn over but won't start

Might be getting air in fuel lines and not priming. Maybe start buy purging all lines. Might be as easy as fuel from filter to tank. Unscrew your filter enough to see fuel is to the top of metal holes

Tequila Sunrise Pearl 2102 Ram 3500 Laramie . 4" Tuff Ez Ride Suspension Lift , 20" Moto Metal Razor wheels wrapped in 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2 .
    United Pacific triple trumpet train horn .No Performance mods yet .

4. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Nice clean truck by the way for the year that's in great shape.

Tequila Sunrise Pearl 2102 Ram 3500 Laramie . 4" Tuff Ez Ride Suspension Lift , 20" Moto Metal Razor wheels wrapped in 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2 .

6. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Is this an electric or mechanical lift pump?

If it's a diaphragm, there should be a priming lever on it. Jack that until it gets stiff. Spin it over and do it again. Then try starting.

If it's electric, turn the key on, and just TAP the starter. Wait a minute. Turn the key off and tap it again. 3 times.

Open an injector line and see if you are getting a strong squirt from it.

If the previous owner messed with the pump timing, that could be the problem too. To do it right, you need a magnetic timing meter.

Do you have any idea the condition of the injectors? If the fuel was that bad, they could be clogged and just dribbling fuel which will not ignite. @AccurateDiesel can help you with the injectors. He's a vendor and we ask you support our vendors first. He's the best I ever met, good prices and 100%.

I haven't done one of those in 30 years.

Oh No Blasphemy. Get that orange Ford out of your pictures.

Was this truck from a farm? Hair everywhere.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes Snow Dodge, AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

What a nice clean old truck! If you are getting a nice strong shot of fuel at each disconnected fuel injector line for each compression stroke then we have one of three problems:
    1. Pump is timed improperly
    2. Insufficient compression
    3. Insufficient heat being generated to ignite the fuel (air intake grid heater not working, or cranking speed too low)

Since the injection pump was evidently being worked on by the previous owner timing would be high on my list (especially if the engine sounds like the compression is decent while cranking). These VE pumps require some special tools to time - basically a dial indicator and special adapter fixture to mount it to the pump. It is a fairly easy process if you can borrow or buy the tools.

10. Thanks Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

When I crack the injectors I get a decent spray of fuel coming out also so I don't know if that makes a difference but I'll be working on it some more today

12. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Let us know if you get it going

14. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    What a nice clean old truck! If you are getting a nice strong shot of fuel at each disconnected fuel injector line for each compression stroke then we have one of three problems:
    1. Pump is timed improperly
    2. Insufficient compression
    3. Insufficient heat being generated to ignite the fuel (air intake grid heater not working, or cranking speed too low)

Since the injection pump was evidently being worked on by the previous owner timing would be high on my list (especially if the engine sounds like the compression is decent while cranking). These VE pumps require some special tools to time - basically a dial indicator and special adapter fixture to mount it to the pump. It is a fairly easy process if you can borrow or buy the tools.
    You're supposed to sell him injectors. LOL Thanks Tim

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

16. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flashflood394 View Post
    When I crack the injectors I get a decent spray of fuel coming out also so I don't know if that makes a difference but I'll be working on it some more today

OK are you tlking about the line or did you pull an injector and check the spray.

Chances are the timing has been monkied with or as said, the motor doesn't have the compression. I would imagine you'd hear that in the starter

18. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Will turn over but won't start

I still believe its air LOL either way will be neat to know what was the cause .

Try to loosen all of the fuel lines and crack it to allow more fuel to spray off of each one if you see bubbles it's air .

20. Likes Snow Dodge, Polaraco liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast