Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will turn over but won't start

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Will turn over but won't start

Quote Originally Posted by flashflood394 View Post
    Ok so when pining the pump is there a hole that the pin goes into or is it just keeping pressure up against the shaft? I spun the pump all the way around and never saw any place that looked like the pin was suppose to go but I coulda have missed something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't get a VE pump infront of me but the page 14-117 (in my earlier images) shows a diagram

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I can't get a VE pump infront of me but the page 14-117 (in my earlier images) shows a diagram
    You're fresher at this part than I. It's all yours.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes flashflood394 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ok guys I finally got that little tool I posted earlier in the thread and some time to work on it. But I'm still confused on how to time this? It only seams like there's one way to time it because of the key way but obviously I'm wrong and I can not figure out how to time it or find any step by step directions on how to do it. I set the motor to tdc then put the key way in the six o clock position and it's running like **** when it does run

5. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flashflood394 View Post
    Ok guys I finally got that little tool I posted earlier in the thread and some time to work on it. But I'm still confused on how to time this? It only seams like there's one way to time it because of the key way but obviously I'm wrong and I can not figure out how to time it or find any step by step directions on how to do it. I set the motor to tdc then put the key way in the six o clock position and it's running like **** when it does run

@F350Cummins

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes flashflood394 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #25
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

F350Cummins posted the appropriate service manual pages earlier in this thread with the timing procedure. Assuming the drive gears are all properly aligned, final timing is achieved by rotating the body of the injection pump (the mounting soles are slotted). You turn the pump one way or the other until the amount of travel on the pumping piston as measured by the dial indicator matches the spec on the engine data tag. Remember that zeroing the indicator properly according to instructions is key to making the operation a success.

8. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Snow Dodge, Polaraco liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #26
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    F350Cummins posted the appropriate service manual pages earlier in this thread with the timing procedure. Assuming the drive gears are all properly aligned, final timing is achieved by rotating the body of the injection pump (the mounting soles are slotted). You turn the pump one way or the other until the amount of travel on the pumping piston as measured by the dial indicator matches the spec on the engine data tag. Remember that zeroing the indicator properly according to instructions is key to making the operation a success.

Ok awesome. I re timed it and now it will fire on its own. But once you give it throttle there's hardly anything there and after awhile it will cut out and die and have a hard start after that. The little smoke there is, is black. It's almost like it's loosing fuel pressure or something

10. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Agreed, definitely sounds like a problem of lack of fuel supply to the injection pump - plugged up sock in the tank, fuel line, or lift pump problem. Advise installing pressure gauge at inlet to injection pump to monitor / verify.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

listen to @AccurateDiesel he knows these better than I ever did.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

13. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Thank you - your experience might be more recent than mine though. Definitely been awhile since I installed a VE on a 12 valve!

14. Thanks RogueDiesel thanked for this post
    Likes RogueDiesel liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Thank you - your experience might be more recent than mine though. Definitely been awhile since I installed a VE on a 12 valve!

Its great to see vendors helping in this forum.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast