Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will turn over but won't start

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Will turn over but won't start

these will run on 2 cyl very roughly while the air is purged out, but if the pump is not creating enough pressure will not inject the fuel into the cylinder, IIRC. I can take a few pictures of the troubleshooting guide if you need it, but I agree with above, its air in the lines or timing.

Other things to help us, is there any smoke? if so what color?

knowing it was apart, is it possible the cam is out of time?

I will leave my 1st gen manual on my desk until tuesday. if you need procedures or anything from that, reach out to me in PM or tag me so I get notified, and I will post the procedure from the book.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

2. Likes flashflood394 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ok so I'm here at my truck now, when I'm cranking it and crack the injector lines a decent amount of fuel comes out. There's no smoke. And when I say it was apart I don't mean the pump was completely off it looks like they were going to start trying to take the pump off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Also I dropped the tank because of how bad the fuel is so I have the return line from the lift pump going into a bucket and there is a lot of fuel coming out of the return line

5. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    these will run on 2 cyl very roughly while the air is purged out, but if the pump is not creating enough pressure will not inject the fuel into the cylinder, IIRC. I can take a few pictures of the troubleshooting guide if you need it, but I agree with above, its air in the lines or timing.

Other things to help us, is there any smoke? if so what color?

knowing it was apart, is it possible the cam is out of time?

I will leave my 1st gen manual on my desk until tuesday. if you need procedures or anything from that, reach out to me in PM or tag me so I get notified, and I will post the procedure from the book.
    I got it firing on its own now but it has nothing, I can just barely keep it running on the throttle. I pulled everything off and checked it all and have the pump pushed all the way towards the motor. But I have a feeling it's timing. How exactly do I time the pump?

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flashflood394 View Post
    I got it firing on its own now but it has nothing, I can just barely keep it running on the throttle. I pulled everything off and checked it all and have the pump pushed all the way towards the motor. But I have a feeling it's timing. How exactly do I time the pump?

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg I am not sure what order they uploaded here in. This is from the manual for a 93, but is the same motor and pump as your 89. if you need the image larger PM me and I can make sure I get it to you. I have not set IP timing on a VE pump motor in about 9 years. I am sure someone here has done it more recently and can chime in.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

6 in a row makes her go

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

It's timing. I called that one. ***** pats self on back**** LOL When you can't see it, and have limited info, and not knowing what the previous guy did, one can only eliminate the obvious first. You said you had fuel at the injectors, but you had bad fuel. I was leaning towards reall bad injectors or timing, like I did on page 1.

You'll have to pull the pump and set it up right. Technically you need a magnetic timing meter once you have it in the ball park. A trained ear would be handy. Advanced a bit is a plus. But only a couple of degrees.

You know what it is now, so you're almost done, for now. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    It's timing. I called that one. ***** pats self on back**** LOL When you can't see it, and have limited info, and not knowing what the previous guy did, one can only eliminate the obvious first. You said you had fuel at the injectors, but you had bad fuel. I was leaning towards reall bad injectors or timing, like I did on page 1.

You'll have to pull the pump and set it up right. Technically you need a magnetic timing meter once you have it in the ball park. A trained ear would be handy. Advanced a bit is a plus. But only a couple of degrees.

You know what it is now, so you're almost done, for now. LOL

One of these correct?

10. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Wow! I never saw one of those before. I had an OTC unit that was 6 times that price. I guess that will work. Get an inspection mirror just in case though

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flashflood394 View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f810ebfa89.png

One of these correct?

I didn't use that when I rebuilt the VE motor in my fummins, nor did I use that doing the p-pumps in 3 of the sweepers with the 12V if you use the pins and the directions, and get TDC set, you will not have an issue making it run if the pump is good.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

12. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I didn't use that when I rebuilt the VE motor in my fummins, nor did I use that doing the p-pumps in 3 of the sweepers with the 12V if you use the pins and the directions, and get TDC set, you will not have an issue making it run if the pump is good.
    Ok so when pining the pump is there a hole that the pin goes into or is it just keeping pressure up against the shaft? I spun the pump all the way around and never saw any place that looked like the pin was suppose to go but I coulda have missed something

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast