Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED head lights on a 2012, 3500

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

LED head lights on a 2012, 3500

My replacement truck only has the two lamp system with the combination high/low beam bulbs. To say they suck is an understatement, yellow and dim! I am looking at an LED replacement bulb from Xenon Pro. There system appealed because they don't use an external ballast. Am I going to have issues with the CANBUS computer if I go to this type of bulb? They sell a warning canceller/anti flicker option for $15.00...is this required? Is there another brand I should consider? Comments and observations appreciated.
    I have a Canadian Vehicle with daytime running lights, so I'm probably unable to use these???

2. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: LED head lights on a 2012, 3500

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    My replacement truck only has the two lamp system with the combination high/low beam bulbs. To say they suck is an understatement, yellow and dim! I am looking at an LED replacement bulb from Xenon Pro. There system appealed because they don't use an external ballast. Am I going to have issues with the CANBUS computer if I go to this type of bulb? They sell a warning canceller/anti flicker option for $15.00...is this required? Is there another brand I should consider? Comments and observations appreciated.
    I have a Canadian Vehicle with daytime running lights, so I'm probably unable to use these???
    Look at PIAA replacement bulbs H13 4000K Intensity they are pretty damn good they are 65W/55W low beam and 85W/75W high beam with a 1 year warranty pretty darn bright it's what I run love them

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Before retrofitting projectors with HIDs I had Morrimoto LEDs in my factory lights and never had a warning light come on. They were an improvement over stock but not a ton. If you really want to see better at night, I suggest skip the LEDs and get HIDs instead. You will be much happier in the end.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Before retrofitting projectors with HIDs I had Morrimoto LEDs in my factory lights and never had a warning light come on. They were an improvement over stock but not a ton. If you really want to see better at night, I suggest skip the LEDs and get HIDs instead. You will be much happier in the end.

Greg
    It's my understanding that with a two bulb system you can't use HID's, you need a 4 bulb system. Something to do with the time it takes to ignite when switching from low beam to high beam.

7. Likes Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post

Greg
    Do you remember the wattage? I have seen 25 watt LED's that are supposed to be the equivalent of the Halogens, but they now have 35 and 45 watt LED's.

9. Likes Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

LED ... HID ... the age old story goes on. One of the hardest paths for vehicle owner to see clearly.
    But everyone will arrive at the 3 way split in the road.
    (1) Stay stock ..
    (2) Turn LED ..
    (3) Turn HID.

I went LED. I also spent the extra bucks and bought from a company called LifeTimeLED ( https://www.lifetimeledlights.com ). Bought their better unit for a bit more and haven't looked back since. Great lights, never had a issue and the headlights plus the driving lights replacement, I can see one heck of a distance with a realy white light. Yes, needed the canceller, but was just $10.00. And like their name states, the lights are guaranteed for life. Now I'm not saying they are better than anyone else, just that this is the path I went.

So excuse me for adding to the fire, but I went through this a 'bout 2 years a go, and can feel sorry for the headaches your going through.
    There will be that bottle of aspirin that you need ahead of ya soon.
    Just get past that 3 way split in the road.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Likes Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It's my understanding that with a two bulb system you can't use HID's, you need a 4 bulb system. Something to do with the time it takes to ignite when switching from low beam to high beam.
    If you use HIDs with a projector you get high/low by default if you use the appropriate relay harness. The projector has a shutter in it that is part closed for low beams and full open for highs.

Greg

Greg

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Do you remember the wattage? I have seen 25 watt LED's that are supposed to be the equivalent of the Halogens, but they now have 35 and 45 watt LED's.
    Sorry but I dont remember and it's been 2 years since I switched to HIDs. I bet things have advanced a bunch sine then

Greg

Greg

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Post Re: LED head lights on a 2012, 3500

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    LED ... HID ... the age old story goes on. One of the hardest paths for vehicle owner to see clearly.
    But everyone will arrive at the 3 way split in the road.
    (1) Stay stock ..
    (2) Turn LED ..
    (3) Turn HID.

I went LED. I also spent the extra bucks and bought from a company called LifeTimeLED ( https://www.lifetimeledlights.com ). Bought their better unit for a bit more and haven't looked back since. Great lights, never had a issue and the headlights plus the driving lights replacement, I can see one heck of a distance with a realy white light. Yes, needed the canceller, but was just $10.00. And like their name states, the lights are guaranteed for life. Now I'm not saying they are better than anyone else, just that this is the path I went.

So excuse me for adding to the fire, but I went through this a 'bout 2 years a go, and can feel sorry for the headaches your going through.
    There will be that bottle of aspirin that you need ahead of ya soon.
    Just get past that 3 way split in the road.
    I may be hooped on all counts except for halogen. I do not have the projector housing so I won't use HID. I don't think they can be properly focused in my type of housing. My big problem is the fact that my Canadian truck has daytime running lights that use the high beam filament at a lower power to act as daytime running lights, so there is no way to make the LED's work. The other option is to replace the entire headlight assembly, but I will still get a Canbus code because of the DRL. My only option seems to be halogen. The problem with halogen is that there are no real improvements due to wattage restrictions, just different colors. I had a higher wattage H4 in my motorcycle, but it isn't made any more. H-13's are restricted to 55/60 watt low/high.

15. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Well I see the 'Canadian Government', when it comes to vehicles, is as screwed up as ours.

I thought we had the corner on govermental idiots.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

16. Likes Power247, Panhandle461 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast