Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Radiator drain cock...

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Radiator drain cock...

06 Cummins. Had to change water pump few weeks back and drained coolant out of radiator drain cock. Upon closing drain cock it wanted to leak fully closed so I turned it back a hair and it stopped. Now it has started to leak again and I can't get it to stop. Anyone else had this issue? Does it just twist out and replace the oring or what? Hell im a diesel tech but I have never taken one out or delt with this style before. Any input is helpful and maybe where I can get one that is the same as mine.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Radiator drain cock...

This are known to be a problem you will need a new drain cock(they do sell them at the dealer) that aren't to expensive. What you'll need to do to remove it un screw the drain cock then squeeze the the insert and it come out of the radiator
    I hope this helps @ sisupower

Life is a one time offer, make the most of it

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

3. Likes Sisupower liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weeseven View Post
    This are known to be a problem you will need a new drain cock(they do sell them at the dealer) that aren't to expensive. What you'll need to do to remove it un screw the drain cock then squeeze the the insert and it come out of the radiator
    I hope this helps @ sisupower

Thanks bud I'll pick one up tomorrow and get it done!

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sisupower View Post
    Thanks bud I'll pick one up tomorrow and get it done!

There should be a pic in the service manual you can look it up in premium member services under " member resources " I tried to access it from my phone but was unable to

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weeseven View Post
    There should be a pic in the service manual you can look it up in premium member services under " member resources " I tried to access it from my phone but was unable to

LOL I didn't even know we had access to that info as platinum members!! Thanks again

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Weeseven, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sisupower View Post
    LOL I didn't even know we had access to that info as platinum members!! Thanks again

Platinum members have benefits ... remember ??

I know many don't do this, but for your FYI, for years I've just pulled the lower hose to the radiator and drain the system. When drained, I flush the radiator and engine block with a hose until clean and a bit more. Use as much oressure as it will take. Then I throw a couple gallons of distilled water threw the thermostat opening and radiator opening to flush the regular water out. Distilled water is cheap so use as many as you want. Put the hose back on and fill threw the thermostat opening until full, install thermo and finish filling system. Have yet to open the radiator drain, and never had an issue. Like I say, just an FYI.

Oh, one thing I do. I have an old set of stands where I can back the truck up, where the engine block has a slight angle forward. Now when I drain, it gravitates forward and there's basically no water held in the rear of the block. If not, when setting normally, there will be a gallon or two in the back that never comes out when draining.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
    Likes 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post

I know many don't do this, but for your FYI, for years I've just pulled the lower hose to the radiator and drain the system. When drained, I flush the radiator and engine block with a hose until clean and a bit more. Use as much oressure as it will take. Then I throw a couple gallons of distilled water threw the thermostat opening and radiator opening to flush the regular water out. Distilled water is cheap so use as many as you want. Put the hose back on and fill threw the thermostat opening until full, install thermo and finish filling system. Have yet to open the radiator drain, and never had an issue. Like I say, just an FYI.

Oh, one thing I do. I have an old set of stands where I can back the truck up, where the engine block has a slight angle forward. Now when I drain, it gravitates forward and there's basically no water held in the rear of the block. If not, when setting normally, there will be a gallon or two in the back that never comes out when draining.
    Yea I've already done all that not to long ago. I wanted to save the coolant and not make a mess. So that's why

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post

Yea I've already done all that not to long ago. I wanted to save the coolant and not make a mess. So that's why

12. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Didn't mean now, the drain plug needs repair 1st.
    But a suggestion for future servicing.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Likes Sisupower liked this post