Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th gen silencer ring

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

4th gen silencer ring

Just deleted my truck but I'm looking to take out the silencer ring on my 2015 2500. I know it just sounds cool and doesn't improve performance but can anyone tell me if I shouldn't do it? Is it there to improve airflow? Or only to reduce noise?

thanks in advance!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: 4th gen silencer ring

I'm sorry, but do you mean the air diverter inside the tube ?
    Or in the opening of the turbo ?

Taking the diverter out of the tube will then be like the S&B unit.

But the silencer out of the turbo inlet will get more noise and nothing else.
    No benefit in air flow, air direction, mpg's or prefornamce. Just more turbo noise.

Now, how much turbo whine do you want ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The bell inside the turbo. I took it out of my 5.9 and loved the sound. Cheap way to make some cool sound I just want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot!

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I took mine out, no issues and I love the sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes watersupply189, Snow Dodge liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

From what I've heard it isn't a good thing to remove the silencer ring on the 4th gens plus they are pinned inside the turbo housing a lot different then on the 2nd gens where you could just pull it out

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I drilled the two pins out and then the ring came out easy. I've had zero adverse affects from taking it out. I can understand where It could damage the impeller if you don't put the case back on correctly because it has to line up exact. Truck drives exactly the same and turbo still boosts like it did before only louder.

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I just took out the baffle, took like 2 minutes, You can hear it a little more then, If you really want to hear the turbo Get the Double R diesel Turbo whistle tune, I have it and it sounds like a jet engine.

12. Thanks rickywoodworking thanked for this post
    Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I have always taken the silencer ring out.
    When I had my 2012 I was so surprised about the baffle inside the airbox tube LOL. I yanked it out as fast as I could! @HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN you are absolutely right on the amount of difficulty it is on a 4th gen then the 12 valve LOL. Was so easy to just take pliers and yank it out LOL.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Likes Snow Dodge, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

If you want to hear the turbo while driving, remove the ring...took about 30 minutes total! Whistle tune is only heard at idle or barely moving.

16. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps2e46psig.jpg

If you want to hear the turbo while driving, remove the ring...took about 30 minutes total! Whistle tune is only heard at idle or barely moving.

Great job good work

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast