Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unknown fuel issue

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Unknown fuel issue

So I've been having an issue, a while back I was having a problem where at anything over about half throttle I would lose power and the truck would start bucking like it was running out of fuel. I replaced the PRV and it went away. Now on long trips 2-3 hours of high way driving it will start doing it again, runs fine until you try to accurate and it starts bucking again. Today I pulled a 34 foot horse trailer to Kentucky bout 4 hour trip and it did it even worse. What's the issue, I don't have gauges but I'm thinking it's the lift pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Unknown fuel issue

Need more info bud as far as truck and motor and mileage and whatever else as far as modifications and OEM stuff ?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

2003 5.9 H.O 150xxx with a smarty jr set on sw2

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

You have original lift pump yours is electronic ?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by codydell01 View Post
    So I've been having an issue, a while back I was having a problem where at anything over about half throttle I would lose power and the truck would start bucking like it was running out of fuel. I replaced the PRV and it went away. Now on long trips 2-3 hours of high way driving it will start doing it again, runs fine until you try to accurate and it starts bucking again. Today I pulled a 34 foot horse trailer to Kentucky bout 4 hour trip and it did it even worse. What's the issue, I don't have gauges but I'm thinking it's the lift pump

03's seem to be notorious for this. Mine did it too. I ran two bottles of this http://www.archoilcart.com/ar6400-d-...ncentrate.aspx Then I started on this stuff. It's been uphill since.

http://www.archoilcart.com/fueltreatment.aspx

Good Shtuff

Have you ever put injectors in the truck? @AccurateDiesel is a injector sponsor. At 150K, they're probably due. Tim has the best service and prices I found for the quality stuff.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, RogueDiesel liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    03's seem to be notorious for this. Mine did it too. I ran two bottles of this http://www.archoilcart.com/ar6400-d-...ncentrate.aspx Then I started on this stuff. It's been uphill since.

http://www.archoilcart.com/fueltreatment.aspx

Good Shtuff

Have you ever put injectors in the truck? @AccurateDiesel is a injector sponsor. At 150K, they're probably due. Tim has the best service and prices I found for the quality stuff.
    Never put injectors in it but I don't know about the previous owner,it doesn't have any symptoms like bad injectors

8. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Is there a check engine light on? Have you checked for codes? If available they could definitely give us a sense of which direction to head with the diagnosis.

10. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Is there a check engine light on? Have you checked for codes? If available they could definitely give us a sense of which direction to head with the diagnosis.
    Nope no lights or codes checked it with the smarty

12. Top Of Page | #9
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Lack of codes would be consistent with a base fuel supply system issue as there is no monitoring of the low pressure system - you intuition may be correct that that is where the problem lies. I would plumb a pressure gauge into the system after the filter and monitor supply pressure while the problem is occurring.

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Lack of codes would be consistent with a base fuel supply system issue as there is no monitoring of the low pressure system - you intuition may be correct that that is where the problem lies. I would plumb a pressure gauge into the system after the filter and monitor supply pressure while the problem is occurring.
    Your talking between the fuel filter and injection pump correct what side low or high or feed or return ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast