Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get That Billet Flexplate!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Get That Billet Flexplate!!!

Ok,

I have a 2017 Laramie Longhorn 2500..... I deleted and tuned it (Double R) right out of the box. I also upgraded the converter and valve body with RevMax components.

After about 5000 miles my converter started acting goofy. Next thing I know, temps crept up to 205°F which isn't bad but I knew something was wrong in the converter. I parked it, pulled the bell housing cover and there was aluminum dust all over. I checked the converter bolt torque and they were good but you could feel the heads were rubbing on the back of the engine.

I called RevMax to see what the heck was up. After I told him what was happening they knew right away what the problem was. Apparently, when using their converter and valve body along with the increased transmission line pressure, the converter tends to flex the factory flexplate too much which causes the converter to walk back and forth on the input shaft which in turn, damages the internal converter seal. They said my seal had cut or popped out and was floating inside the converter or worse, inside the pump. RevMax is stepping up to make this right. I am sending them my converter and pump and they are going to go through them both for free.

RevMax then said they HIGHLY RECOMMEND installing their billet flexplate when using their converter and running a high trans line pressure. That extra pressure tends to push the converter forward and back excessively and the stock plate just flexes too much.

I'm a little upset they didn't explain this when I originally purchased the converter and VB but at least they're trying to make it right.

So, to make a long story short..... If you're gonna upgrade your converter and VB and gonna run maximum line pressure.... INSTALL A BILLET FLEXPLATE!!!! Especially if you're towing heavy loads..... Like I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Get That Billet Flexplate!!!

Great to know for future reference.

@Double R Diesel

🏁Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!🏁

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Likes 74Beeper liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for this! I am about to have my trans serviced and have been on the fence about upgrading some of the internals with RevMax parts but was concerned with exposing a weak link. I think I am going to stick with a fluid and filter change for now and keep saving for the future.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    Ok,

I have a 2017 Laramie Longhorn 2500..... I deleted and tuned it (Double R) right out of the box. I also upgraded the converter and valve body with RevMax components.

After about 5000 miles my converter started acting goofy. Next thing I know, temps crept up to 205°F which isn't bad but I knew something was wrong in the converter. I parked it, pulled the bell housing cover and there was aluminum dust all over. I checked the converter bolt torque and they were good but you could feel the heads were rubbing on the back of the engine.

I called RevMax to see what the heck was up. After I told him what was happening they knew right away what the problem was. Apparently, when using their converter and valve body along with the increased transmission line pressure, the converter tends to flex the factory flexplate too much which causes the converter to walk back and forth on the input shaft which in turn, damages the internal converter seal. They said my seal had cut or popped out and was floating inside the converter or worse, inside the pump. RevMax is stepping up to make this right. I am sending them my converter and pump and they are going to go through them both for free.

RevMax then said they HIGHLY RECOMMEND installing their billet flexplate when using their converter and running a high trans line pressure. That extra pressure tends to push the converter forward and back excessively and the stock plate just flexes too much.

I'm a little upset they didn't explain this when I originally purchased the converter and VB but at least they're trying to make it right.

So, to make a long story short..... If you're gonna upgrade your converter and VB and gonna run maximum line pressure.... INSTALL A BILLET FLEXPLATE!!!! Especiallyp if you're towing heavy loads..... Like I do. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...847fd39446.jpg

Really appreciate this info bud thanks for posting

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AnOldBiker liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Oh wonderful. Just ordered their valve body and ultra low stall convertor Sunday for my 13. I don't tow very often. No I'm wondering if that fact makes a difference or not. How much is the billet flex plate? I never heard any mention of it or this issue until now.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

9. Thanks joseph.lazzara.2 thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    Oh wonderful. Just ordered their valve body and ultra low stall convertor Sunday for my 13. I don't tow very often. No I'm wondering if that fact makes a difference or not. How much is the billet flex plate? I never heard any mention of it or this issue until now.

It definitely will make a difference whether your towing or not anything that is billet for these transmissions are pretty much worth there weight in gold billet parts are virtually indestructible very hard to break or wear out

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

11. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

400.00 for the flex plate

13. Likes Noneck, AnOldBiker liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Not sure why they aren't pushing the flexplate when people are doing these upgrades. They also told me, they are working on a new TC which has a 1/4" longer pilot dowel. This longer pilot will keep the TC from walking forward because it will bottom out in the crankshaft pilot hole. This new TC will eliminate the need for a stronger flexplate in daily driver/towing applications. Of course, this TC is not yet available.

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears

15. Thanks Noneck thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, Noneck, AnOldBiker liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up. I added the billet flex plate to my order. The shop I ordered from didn't really feel it was a necessity for me. He said in his experience under 550hp should be ok with stock if you don't tow heavy (which I don't) but the added peace of mind is worth the $400 while it's all apart. I'm really interested to see how this thing feels with the ultra low convertor and valve body. Hope it's worth the 2k I was planning on doing headstuds with!

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

17. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I bought both converter and VB at same time as well, but I installed the converter first and drove that around for a while. The converter was a HUGE improvement. The VB didn't have the wow factor as the converter but it's more for longevity of the trans.

19. Thanks Noneck thanked for this post
    Likes Noneck, AnOldBiker liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast