Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RT Tuning Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RT Tuning Question

Noticed this yesterday on the way to work, never noticed it before so figured I'd ask.

I've got a 2011 2500, 68RFE with WARP tuning by @Double R Diesel. My ECM file is a 120hp tune. Truck runs great, no complaints.

I was stopped at a light and decided I wanted to change to my 12V 120hp sound tune. But before it finished loading, the light turned green and I started to accelerate. but as I let off the go pedal, the boost went into the negative range, roughly -4.50.

Is this because the boost readout zero's itself when programming or is there a problem?

On the way home, I left it on the ECM tune and never saw the negative readout again.

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

2. Thanks Jaxonsram thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: RT Tuning Question

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Noticed this yesterday on the way to work, never noticed it before so figured I'd ask.
    I've got a 2011 2500, 68RFE with WARP tuning by @Double R Diesel. My ECM file is a 120hp tune. Truck runs great, no complaints.

I was stopped at a light and decided I wanted to change to my 12V 120hp sound tune. But before it finished loading, the light turned green and I started to accelerate. but as I let off the go pedal, the boost went into the negative range, roughly -4.50.
    Is this because the boost readout zero's itself when programming or is there a problem?

On the way home, I left it on the ECM tune and never saw the negative readout again.
    Under the right circumstances your truck can be off boost and the engine can actually produce manifold vacuum which would show up as negative boost.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

4. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I hear what you are saying Ray, but should I not change to a RT tune while driving down the road with my foot on the go pedal?

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I hear what you are saying Ray, but should I not change to a RT tune while driving down the road with my foot on the go pedal?
    Technically nothing wrong with changing RT tunes while driving, but I wouldn't do it for safety reasons alone.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Technically nothing wrong with changing RT tunes while driving, but I wouldn't do it for safety reasons alone.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    Safety reasons? Other than looking away from the road, what would be the concern?

If there is nothing to worry about while driving, try to duplicate it... I'm just trying to understand so I don't over boost my engine, I don't have head studs yet.

For example... You are driving down the road cruising along with 10 PSI showing on the gauge. You change to your 12V tune and as soon as the display resets, now the boost is close to zero. You let off the pedal and idle and you're now at a -10 PSI.

I'm just worried that if for some reason, I have to get on it and my boost goes to 31 PSI, am I truly at 31 or am I really at 41?

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Safety reasons? Other than looking away from the road, what would be the concern?

If there is nothing to worry about while driving, try to duplicate it... I'm just trying to understand so I don't over boost my engine, I don't have head studs yet.

For example... You are driving down the road cruising along with 10 PSI showing on the gauge. You change to your 12V tune and as soon as the display resets, now the boost is close to zero. You let off the pedal and idle and you're now at a -10 PSI.
    I'm just worried that if for some reason, I have to get on it and my boost goes to 31 PSI, am I truly at 31 or am I really at 41?
    LOL! Yes when I say safety I mean don't take your eyes off the road. I've done it myself and almost rear ended someone.

Don't be concerned about boost reading negative. A boost reading of 31 psi is accurate. You will never see 40 psi on a stock turbo with my tuning...roughly 36 psi max is all you could ever see.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

12. Thanks Joe Froe thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Opie011 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

LOL! Yes when I say safety I mean don't take your eyes off the road. I've done it myself and almost rear ended someone.

Don't be concerned about boost reading negative. A boost reading of 31 psi is accurate. You will never see 40 psi on a stock turbo with my tuning...roughly 36 psi max is all you could ever see.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    Copy that, just wanted to be sure, kind of grabbed my attention at first.

Thanks Ray, Best customer service ever!

14. Thanks DRD thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I see the same read outs on my 2012...mine has never performed differently even under vacuum. It does only seem to do it in the 12v RT just like your's. I even cleaned the sensor to make sure it wasn't dirty and still read the same so I could only assume it was correct due to the truck still performing great. Glad you got an answer and no one better than Ray to answer that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Thanks DRD, 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Under the right circumstances your truck can be off boost and the engine can actually produce manifold vacuum which would show up as negative boost.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    Once again Ray from Double R Diesel has all the right answers

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

18. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

It's not just Warp tunes that do this, I've noticed the same problem while switching between box tunes. The boost gauge on the RaceMe resets its zero whenever you change tunes. So if you're holding a steady 15psi while changing tunes with RT, you'll show -15psi at idle which is actual zero.

It's a glitch that should be fixed. It isn't the engine, is the gauge that's off.

Best thing you can do right now Is while changing tunes with RT, don't be creating boost.

20. Thanks DRD, 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, watersupply189, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast