Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tuning Questions

Ok, noob here! Just had a RaceMe Ultra, Sinister EGR/Cooler delete, cat-to-factory muffler delete, and RaceMe EGT installed due to 'DPF 80% Full' message.

A little background on our use our use of the truck: DW and I are full-time RVers and pull a 34' HitchHiker fifth wheel that weighs in around 15k. Truck has always pulled just fine in the stock configuration. Don't need more power, just needs to get rid of the emissions junk. So, I have a few questions:

First, I don't think the installer did anything but the 'default' engine tune, and I don't think they did the tranny tune at all. What will be the 'safest' tune? I'm guessing stock with deletes and the tranny tune, but what are your thoughts on the 30hp tune?

What about timing? Stock? I don't want head gasket issues down the road (or tranny problems, either...).

Second, EGT probe was installed in the rear cooler block-off plate. It's my understanding that this will read approximately 150-200 degrees cooler that if it were installed in the exhaust manifold. So what should I be looking at as a max safe EGT?

Lastly, this is the first truck I've owned with a turbo (remember the old Navistar 6.9 naturally-aspirated diesels that were in Fords?). Yeah, I had two of 'em. Never had to worry about boost pressure. So, how do I keep boost within acceptable levels? I know that with EGT, keep RPM's up and foot out of go-pedal. Is it the same with boost?

That's all I can think of for now - I'm sure there'll be more later as I learn more about the tuner and tuning.

Regards,

Bob

2. Likes The DodgeFather liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tuning Questions

I will eventually need to know exactly what you just asked myself . Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tequila Sunrise Pearl 2102 Ram 3500 Laramie . 4" Tuff Ez Ride Suspension Lift , 20" Moto Metal Razor wheels wrapped in 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2 .
    United Pacific triple trumpet train horn .No Performance mods yet .

4. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Tuning Questions

Quote Originally Posted by The DodgeFather View Post
    I will eventually need to know exactly what you just asked myself . Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So I guess I'm not the only noob! LOL!

We just hit 91k on the clock without issues until now, and I'd like to get at least that many more without further major issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Tuning Questions

Even @Polaraco and @AnOldBiker were noobs at one time...
    You're in the right place to learn about it. Read, read, read and ask away. I'm still learning myself.

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

7. Likes Bobtipton, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Even @Polaraco and @AnOldBiker were noobs at one time...
    You're in the right place to learn about it. Read, read, read and ask away. I'm still learning myself.

Never EVER! Put me in the same sentence as @AnOldBiker. He's older than me and his truck is newer. LOL

Between us we have 100 years of knowledge and experience. I am self taught on the mechanics, but an engineer by trade. If it was an old Moipar, I could tell you the bolt sizes. Just don't ask me part numbers.

@cumminsbadgirl can tell you how to wash a hood and scrape your chin in aw.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Never EVER! Put me in the same sentence as @AnOldBiker. He's older than me and his truck is newer. LOL

Between us we have 100 years of knowledge and experience. I am self taught on the mechanics, but an engineer by trade. If it was an old Moipar, I could tell you the bolt sizes. Just don't ask me part numbers.

@cumminsbadgirl can tell you how to wash a hood and scrape your chin in aw.

Ummmmmm..... @Polaraco..... hush it young man... geeeeze.. LOL just can't leave him alone for 5 sec and look what happens

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

Previous "Cummins Badgirls" :
    2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

11. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Listen to that 'OLD COOT' @Polaraco saying I'm older ... he was tearing up the dirt long before I had a chance. Oh course 'we' are old enough that we seen Moses actually part the red sea ... in person. And was a act that is hard to follow !

I'm not much into the new fang dangle models, but I'd recommend if you can move the ET probe to the exhaust, it will be better and you will not be rough estimating what the exhaust temp really is. Just don't try to put it in the exhaust where an internal support vien is.

On any chip added to the truck I've used or read about, start with the 60 hp increase if all else is stock. Usually going over 100 extra horses is a bit much for most stock trans. But get with Ray @Double R Diesel and he's totally on line with the Race Me products. Folow what he recommends.

As for the boost, you have the right idea by what you stated ... just live by it. It's a good truck with a great engine.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes cumminsbadgirl, SeveredCummins14 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtipton View Post
    Ok, noob here! Just had a RaceMe Ultra, Sinister EGR/Cooler delete, cat-to-factory muffler delete, and RaceMe EGT installed due to 'DPF 80% Full' message.

A little background on our use our use of the truck: DW and I are full-time RVers and pull a 34' HitchHiker fifth wheel that weighs in around 15k. Truck has always pulled just fine in the stock configuration. Don't need more power, just needs to get rid of the emissions junk. So, I have a few questions:

First, I don't think the installer did anything but the 'default' engine tune, and I don't think they did the tranny tune at all. What will be the 'safest' tune? I'm guessing stock with deletes and the tranny tune, but what are your thoughts on the 30hp tune?

What about timing? Stock? I don't want head gasket issues down the road (or tranny problems, either...).

HEAD GASKETS GOING ARE FROM TOO MUCH BOOST NOT TIMING ALONE

Second, EGT probe was installed in the rear cooler block-off plate. It's my understanding that this will read approximately 150-200 degrees cooler that if it were installed in the exhaust manifold. So what should I be looking at as a max safe EGT?

THE PROPER PLACE FOR THE PROBE IS AS CLOSE TO THE TURBO AS POSSIBLE. SO THE DOWN PART OF THE MANIFOLD IS WHERE YOU WANT IT

Lastly, this is the first truck I've owned with a turbo (remember the old Navistar 6.9 naturally-aspirated diesels that were in Fords?). Yeah, I had two of 'em. Never had to worry about boost pressure. So, how do I keep boost within acceptable levels? I know that with EGT, keep RPM's up and foot out of go-pedal. Is it the same with boost?

THE FACTORY TUNE KEEPS THE TURBO IN CHECK. IF THE PROGRAM IS WORTH A SALT IN YOUR ULTRA, THAT WILL KEEP IT CONTROLLED TOO. YOU MAY WANT TO TALK TO RAY @Double R Diesel about tunes. He's the master.

That's all I can think of for now - I'm sure there'll be more later as I learn more about the tuner and tuning.

Regards,

Bob
    See above

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Listen to that 'OLD COOT' @Polaraco saying I'm older ... he was tearing up the dirt long before I had a chance. Oh course 'we' are old enough that we seen Moses actually part the red sea ... in person. And was a act that is hard to follow !

I'm not much into the new fang dangle models, but I'd recommend if you can move the ET probe to the exhaust, it will be better and you will not be rough estimating what the exhaust temp really is. Just don't try to put it in the exhaust where an internal support vien is.

On any chip added to the truck I've used or read about, start with the 60 hp increase if all else is stock. Usually going over 100 extra horses is a bit much for most stock trans. But get with Ray @Double R Diesel and he's totally on line with the Race Me products. Folow what he recommends.

As for the boost, you have the right idea by what you stated ... just live by it. It's a good truck with a great engine.
    Great minds. . . . . .

what are you doing up? Isn't it time for your Geritol treatments? I got @cumminsbadgirl scolding me. She's just being a brat. But a nice brat. Not bad looking either. I seen pictures. She said they were her anyway.

15. Likes Bobtipton, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I got @cumminsbadgirl scolding me. She's just being a brat. But a nice brat. Not bad looking either. I seen pictures. She said they were her anyway.[/QUOTE]

@Polaraco

I give... LOL

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

Previous "Cummins Badgirls" :
    2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

17. Likes The DodgeFather liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast