Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: G56 6.7 clutch chatter

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

G56 6.7 clutch chatter

My 07.5 clutch seems to chatter a bit at idle. It really chatters when I'm pushing or letting the clutch out. It just started today. I've owned it for a year now and this has never happend.. It's a 07.5 6.7 with 140k on a stock clutch. Clutch doesn't slip at all but I can really feel that chatter in my foot when I put the clutch in and out. Even when it's out of gear..

Any insight is helpful..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2004.5 Cummins 2500 SLT - Smarty s06 - FASS 150 With Heater Element - 4" Straight pipe exhaust 8" tip - Silencer Ring MIA - Banks intake - Skyjacker lift - 20" black rims wrapped with 35" terra grapplers - Rhino line two tone - Glow shift gauges - KC lights
    100k miles, gettin broke in

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: G56 6.7 clutch chatter

This is a bit of a hard one. 140k isn't many miles on a trans now days.
    But you only own it for a year. Pull heavy, and a lot ?
    How 'bout the prior owner ?
    Did they seem like they road the clutch pedal much ?
    Was there or is there excess play in the pedal movement ?

When I bought my '06, I couldn't find a manual, so it's been a while since I played with one.
    Can you give more info ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I don't pull much besides a bass boat and a 17" ice castle. That's once in a while.. other wise I don't think the last owner towed to much with it. I don't notice much "play".

It feels almost gritty.. throw bearing?

2004.5 Cummins 2500 SLT - Smarty s06 - FASS 150 With Heater Element - 4" Straight pipe exhaust 8" tip - Silencer Ring MIA - Banks intake - Skyjacker lift - 20" black rims wrapped with 35" terra grapplers - Rhino line two tone - Glow shift gauges - KC lights

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Seems fine when it's in gear

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yep sounds like throw out bearing. To me. It's loosing it's seat at this point is what your describing. The pressure plate is not being evenly engaged...
    Again if you have lots of miles on it it doesn't pay to swap out a bearing, then do it again, because you'll have. To swap pressure plate. Then find out the disc was worn uneven.
    Live with it till it fails or swap out clutch, bearing, plate together. J/s.
    Ive done it more than a few times.
    First and more important than that is to have it positively diagnosed.
    .......my 2 cents

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So. Basically time for a new clutch all together...

What is weird is. I dropped off the kid this morning, after I got back in my truck, it was acting just fine.

Perfect timing.. considering I'm trying to sell it