Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 68RFE problems already

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

New 68RFE problems already

Ok... I have a NEW 2016 Limited. 2400 miles on it. Bone stock so far...
    I want to know if anyone has experienced this or what you may think it may be. I haven't heard of 68RFE being bad on a non deleted new truck so I'm concerned.
    I have never towed anything yet. Never did high boost launch. Never drove hard at all.
    Taking off in first gear under mid throttle transmission shudders. Not slips. But shudders. You can see it on the tach, and feel it in the truck.
    My guess is lower sprag. But I don't know why other than factory defect.
    Any suggestions? Ideas? Truck is going to dealer tonight for appt tomorrow.
    Anyone experienced this?
    Help appreciated
    Thanks

2. Thanks MRMAYHEM thanked for this post
    Likes MRMAYHEM liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: New 68RFE problems already

My son's 2016 kind of does that too. When you're first taking off you can feel the whole vehicle kind of shuddering. Took it in to tie dealer and they said everything was normal and pretty much said it was a torque thing. Not sure if I buy that but it's still under warranty will see

4. Thanks MrCrowley thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That's going to be my worst fear. I'm about to delete. If I have a bad sprag (I suspect) when I do the delete ..... Bye bye 68RFE and warranty. How many miles on your truck? How long has it been doing it?? Mine did not do it till now so I find it hard to believe it's just the torque converter.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If in doubt, take it back to the dealer. Sounds like the trans may be slipping which is bad.

It's not unheard of a trans going bad this early. They'll replace it with a rebuilt which is usually better than the original in most cases

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Thanks MrCrowley thanked for this post
    Likes Burd liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks it's at the dealer now. Tomorrow I hope to hear something.
    I did lift the rear 3" with a Traxda kit 2" block and 1" adj. Linkage.
    I'm thinking maybe driveshaft angle could have been effected???
    Just a stab in the dark.
    3" I would think shouldn't effect anything.

9. Top Of Page | #6

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrowley View Post
    That's going to be my worst fear. I'm about to delete. If I have a bad sprag (I suspect) when I do the delete ..... Bye bye 68RFE and warranty. How many miles on your truck? How long has it been doing it?? Mine did not do it till now so I find it hard to believe it's just the torque converter.
    Has 17k on it now and it's done it since it left the lot. Hasn't gotten worse. He's also deleting. Talked to our dealer about the warranty and they told him only the parts that are being removed won't be covered. Everything else will be fine. Our dealer is very mod friendly.

10. Likes Burd, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I had it happen to my truck also, it happen couple times after i had done all the deletes but truck has 31k on it and it didnt happen again. Did a trans filter service and fuilds look good. takeit back he my dealer replace it before u do any delets.

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Wow I haven't seen or heard anyone having that problem with so little mileage keep us posted as to what happens with your guys transmissions

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

My dealer has been being good to me . I got there dropped off the truck....... Got a hemi charger for a loaner while I wait for an answer.
    Today I got a call. It's NOT THE TRANSMISSION!!!! Thank God.
    But there is a vibration and it is in the drive line, and it is NOT normal.

Check this out.... My truck is a long wheelbase (long bed) with auto leveling suspension.
    I installed a 2.5" leveling kit in the front and a 2" lit for the rear with adjustable end links for the bags, that gives me another 1" in the rear.
    When all is said and done the difference in height from front to back it 1/2 inch (looks great).
    But this is also when I started getting this vibration. So now I'm thinking that it changed the pinion angle just enough to tweak that driveshaft and bind that u joint. My understanding is long wheelbase trucks differ from short being that they Have a two piece rear driveshaft (an extra u joint). Really a 3" lift from what everyone has told me is no big deal. So I blew it off. But now I'm thinking they are wrong. 3" may be just enough to through it out of whack....
    Soooooo now I wait till tomorrow for another answer....those are my new thoughts

14. Thanks Burd thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

My dealer has been being good to me . I got there dropped off the truck....... Got a hemi charger for a loaner while I wait for an answer.
    Today I got a call. It's NOT THE TRANSMISSION!!!! Thank God.
    But there is a vibration and it is in the drive line, and it is NOT normal.

Check this out.... My truck is a long wheelbase (long bed) with auto leveling suspension.
    I installed a 2.5" leveling kit in the front and a 2" lit for the rear with adjustable end links for the bags, that gives me another 1" in the rear.
    When all is said and done the difference in height from front to back it 1/2 inch (looks great).
    But this is also when I started getting this vibration. So now I'm thinking that it changed the pinion angle just enough to tweak that driveshaft and bind that u joint. My understanding is long wheelbase trucks differ from short being that they Have a two piece rear driveshaft (an extra u joint). Really a 3" lift from what everyone has told me is no big deal. So I blew it off. But now I'm thinking they are wrong. 3" may be just enough to through it out of whack....
    Soooooo now I wait till tomorrow for another answer....those are my new thoughts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast