Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tune for pulling my camper

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tune for pulling my camper

Hello everyone, I'm fixing to go on my family camping trip and I got to thinking about tuning my truck. I use the 60hp tune with the mile spool setting for my turbo. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tuning my truck for pulling my 11k pound camper. I unfortunately don't have the transmission tuning yet. I'm saving up to get tunes from Ray @DoubleRDiesel. Any insight into the best tune for mileage/power/reliability would be great! Thanks in advance for all your help

2. Likes kc6tvu liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tune for pulling my camper

Do you have a ultra I'm assuming? If so you have the option of trans tuning for the 68RFE

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yeah I have the ultra but I'm still learning how to use it. I just selected stock transmission when I did the tune.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KuenningWayne View Post
    Yeah I have the ultra but I'm still learning how to use it. I just selected stock transmission when I did the tune.
    Select trans tuning

2014 RAM 2500 TRADESMAN "SMOKED A BIT TURBO LIT AND THAT WAS IT"

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm going to guess I've got it programed. I have two choices, stock or aftermarket. I chose stock

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You're programed bud. The up down arrows will produce a "no tuning" button. Stock on transmission is tuned.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

8. Likes Cummins7 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Additional question to ops question, how much boost is too much when towing (pulling a hill let's say), no other mods except deletes. Not romping it just trying to maintain speed on grade, worried about toasting motor or turbo.

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Actually when doing tunes under customize settings, you will see 4 options (trans tuning not visible), use arrow to get to trans tuning, select it and you should see all 3 transmission options there

Last edited by elcubano; 04-11-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Missed a step

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

At 35 your pushing hot air and the limits of your turbo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

To answer ops question, my particular truck cannot have any tune except stock with no power upgrade when towing my camper because it over boosts without any added throttle when pulling hills (even small ones).

I'm off the mindset to run what you feel comfortable with in regards to your ability to keep your foot out of it. I set a alarm for 30.5 psi to remind me to get off of it. Your truck may be different.

I don't think towing with the 60 or 30 tune is any problem, and I tow my 5000lb landscape open trailer on 120 tune (stopped because of drain on fuel when towing under all tunes) without any issues. I think the fact that your pulling a wall down the interstate causes more load for sure.

Tlr set tune to stock and bump up to the 30 for a while then the 60. See what you like and mind your monitor for Max numbers on rail pressure and boost as well as tranny pressure and slip.

I wish I had and you should to, and egt sensor

13. Thanks The DodgeFather thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast