Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Driveshaft

I have a 2012 dually 4 door long bed 2 piece drive shaft. I've been experiencing some wheel hop taking off loaded heavy. Looked at carrier bearing and the bearing seems good but the rubber that holds it in place has almost a half inch of movement before it hits the walls of housing. In my opinion WAY To much movement.

So is there a heavier duty carrier bearing I can buy. I have priced out one piece aluminum shafts for around $750...they are pricey but worth it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Driveshaft

Quote Originally Posted by turbo246 View Post
    I have a 2012 dually 4 door long bed 2 piece drive shaft. I've been experiencing some wheel hop taking off loaded heavy. Looked at carrier bearing and the bearing seems good but the rubber that holds it in place has almost a half inch of movement before it hits the walls of housing. In my opinion WAY To much movement.

So is there a heavier duty carrier bearing I can buy. I have priced out one piece aluminum shafts for around $750...they are pricey but worth it? Thanks

How many miles on your truck bud I have 2012 same truck as yours only 2500 instead of 3500 only difference is you have one more leaf spring in rear never had any wheel hop at all

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

20k babied miles. It's weird. I shouldn't be able to move the carrier bearing like I can. It just developed the wheel hop. I know it's not from abuse LOL, The truck doesn't even come out in the rain

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I put a heavier duty carrier bearing in my 03 F250 and it helped some.

When my universals started to wear, I had a local driveshaft shop build me a one piece drives shaft and it was the best thing I ever did to that truck.

I went from 3 universals and a carrier bearing to 2 universals and no more shuddering ever.

It cost around $220 to have it made and he used the stock slip joint.

3 universals and a carrier would've ran around $180.

5. Likes InlineSix.7 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

20k babied miles. It's weird. I shouldn't be able to move the carrier bearing like I can. It just developed the wheel hop. I know it's not from abuse LOL, The truck doesn't even come out in the rain

I can move mine as you described with yours, I was thinking it was abnormal or worn, but I ended up leaving it alone for now. I'm not experiencing wheel hop though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have the same truck, just not a dually.

Did you ever find a solution?

I get some wheel hop from a stop, but only when turning and accelerating.

My carrier bearing is pretty chewed up.

Maybe it has to do with the leveling kit disrupting the geometry or something.

I'm trying to decide which replacement carrier bearing to get (I heard Spicer is good maybe?) and plan to add some shims to the top to drop it down some.

Or maybe a one-piece is the way to go, I don't know.

2012 2500 4WD, CCLB 68RFE, 2.75" Carli Level with Bilstein 5100s, and still a ways to go...

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Taistee View Post
    I have the same truck, just not a dually.

Did you ever find a solution?

I get some wheel hop from a stop, but only when turning and accelerating.

My carrier bearing is pretty chewed up.

Maybe it has to do with the leveling kit disrupting the geometry or something.

I'm trying to decide which replacement carrier bearing to get (I heard Spicer is good maybe?) and plan to add some shims to the top to drop it down some.

Or maybe a one-piece is the way to go, I don't know.
    Have you considered traction bars?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You sure its wheel hop? Do u get the same results not loaded? Check your u bolts on the leaf pack. Check to see if your rear axle is centered.

Does your traction control light flash when this happens?

See if you can squat down to see the carrier bearing while someone puts the throttle down while holding brake. See if the frame and bed actually push towards ground. Do the tires chirp when this happens?

Does it feel like both sides hop at same time or like its crab hoping?

What happens is the torque of the engine exerts a lot of force against the axle housing, causing the forward part of the leaf spring to bend. Rear of the leaf will bend in the opposite direction, causing the spring to form a "S" shape.

Eventually the spring overcomes the twist of the torque and snaps back into a "C" shape.

This process will repeat itself over and over again. You now have wheel hop.

To stop this you have to brace the axle housing from twisting.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

10. Likes Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Have you considered traction bars?
    I have, but I think I’ll save that for a bit down the line.

2012 2500 4WD, CCLB 68RFE, 2.75" Carli Level with Bilstein 5100s, and still a ways to go...

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

So last night I was driving home, and its about a 4% climb all the way up.

I was in 4th at about 60% throttle, except to let off and cruise through the curves.

Just about every time I let off the gas, I would hear a metallic grinding and feel some shaking in my feet.

Got home and looked around underneath, and I think that it's gonna be this carrier bearing.

I don't really wanna drive it until I get this thing replaced.

For those of you who have had to replace this part, is it something that could be done with basic hand tools, or do I need some heavy-duty seal puller or something?

Also, if I take it anywhere to get replaced, they're probably gonna try to upsell me some driveshaft U-joints as well.

Any advice as to how to determine if my truck would benefit from U-joints or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast