Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: COOLANT SMELL no coolant leaks.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

COOLANT SMELL no coolant leaks.

Hey guys, i have a 16 2500 with 30k miles on it now. deleted back in early December, had about 20k miles on it. anyways, since then i have been smelling coolant through the grill on the passenger side, its not strong but it is enough to catch your attention from time to time, the truck is not leaking or loosing coolant. my guess was what ever leaked from removing the stock components absorbed some. but it has since then been a handful of months. i have washed under the hood and the gril, etc. all my hoses, fittings, delete components are in tact. oil is clean. just kind of puzzled, any insight would be great!

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: COOLANT SMELL no coolant leaks.

Agreed you probably spilled some while doing delete into area that probably does get warm after running for a little while and it is in area that it will just have to wear off or burn off

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Just in case - there have been a lot of trucks come back for a broken coolant y pipe at the front of the motor. I don't know if the 16 is the same as the 14. It happened to me about 85k, very small leak. Ended up seeing some coolant spray (white ashiness) in the bay. According to dealer a known issue. Probably not but JIC. It's the coolant pipe that has a mount directly in front of the valve cover, the weak point is the sharp angle of where the y meets. Coolant tank never dropped, but had coolant smell and found the small leak.good luck

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

5. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I will check it out tomorrow. Good info. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have a 2013 3500. Had that smell for a long time and it was that y that elcubano was talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks elcubano thanked for this post
    Likes elcubano, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

I can testify to the same problem with my 2014, i had a pin hole leak in my y-pipe fitting right at 85K miles.

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Hey bro, you can order the part online, or you ask the dealer for a discount at the parts counter (they usually give me 20-30%). The repair is not hard at all. Catch pan for fluid, 1 gallon of Mopar branded coolant (dealer), a set of channel locks and a small set of sockets I believe. You can do it an hour or so at the most.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

ive been so busy i havent even had a chance to look at it! im looking today right after work. ive thought about this a few time in the past week or so but forgot where the location you mentioned was. will get right back to you!

14. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

If its a leak you can verify, the dealer needs to do it at their cost. Its to new of a truck.

I had this smell a year and a half after I bought my truck and couldn't find it. Ended up having to check each hose end with a new scott towel until I found it. The towel showed a slight wet spot. Pain in the A$$ to do but worth the time. And yes, it was at the Y.

But my warrantee was out and I paid for the parts. As stated, it wasn't expensive nor hard to do. But with your truck being a 16 and low mileage, I would have let them do it.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

15. Likes david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

i guess im not finding a y pipe, the only pipe i found is to the passenger side in front of the valve cover. its metal not plastic and it is more of a horseshoe. tho hose going into it is rather large. my truck is deleted if i didn't already mention it. i attached a picture from online and highlightedcoolant.jpg the part i am talking about

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast