Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: First time pulling advise

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

First time pulling advise

As the title states I'm looking for some advise on truck pulling. I've never done it and have only been to a handful of them in my life. But I have one monster of a truck and the previous owner started this project as a pulling truck so I feel I owe it to the old girl to see at least once what she can do. But I don't want to look like a headless chicken doing it. Nv4500 tranny. I know 4 low 4th gear. I know I'll probably need a helmet and I'll probably be in open class. Beyond that all I know is how to turn wrenches and make her go fast.

2001 eclb 12v 5 speed 5x0.020 injectors. Benched 215 p7100 pump 5k gsk 27° timing full cut dv's. air dog 150. s400 75/87/1.1 turbo. Fully built block.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: First time pulling advise

Wear shrapnel britches and vest. LOL

Bell housing/trans shield, Beefy driveshaft and yokes, 4.11's or lower, rear traction bars, and of coarse, the trans guts. Not sure what they do with the rears.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Wear shrapnel britches and vest. LOL

Bell housing/trans shield, Beefy driveshaft and yokes, 4.11's or lower, rear traction bars, and of coarse, the trans guts. Not sure what they do with the rears.
    Thank you. I guess I should update my signature. Built nv4500(as built as it can get) rear traction bars. 3.73 gears (i think). Stock driveshaft. previous owner welded spider gears and I haven't got a new rear end yet. What about drawbar hitch or receiver hitch? Traction bars or ladder bars? Any extra odds and ends that may be helpful

2001 eclb 12v 5 speed 5x0.020 injectors. Benched 215 p7100 pump 5k gsk 27° timing full cut dv's. air dog 150. s400 75/87/1.1 turbo. Fully built block.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    ... Wear shrapnel britches and vest. LOL ...

I agree with him. I only know of one guy who tried this and he suggested going to the truck pulls and talking to the guys in the pits. They, if anyone knows what is involved. And usually they will be very talkative to those who are interested in the sport.

PLUS, be ready to spend lots of money if your serious and want a good first show on the track. Shoot for the best .. but accept a learning experience for the first run.

Good luck ........

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBEAR View Post
    Thank you. I guess I should update my signature. Built nv4500(as built as it can get) rear traction bars. 3.73 gears (i think). Stock driveshaft. previous owner welded spider gears and I haven't got a new rear end yet. What about drawbar hitch or receiver hitch? Traction bars or ladder bars? Any extra odds and ends that may be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I agree with him. I only know of one guy who tried this and he suggested going to the truck pulls and talking to the guys in the pits. They, if anyone knows what is involved. And usually they will be very talkative to those who are interested in the sport.

PLUS, be ready to spend lots of money if your serious and want a good first show on the track. Shoot for the best .. but accept a learning experience for the first run.

Good luck ........
    As far as the towing rigging is concerned, I don't know. Not my schtick. I know alittle about racing. Even that is 20 years dated.

Jim is right though. Have plenty of spares. Frankly I can't see a daily driver being a sled tow at the same time. Small sled.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

[/QUOTE]Frankly I can't see a daily driver being a sled tow at the same time. Small sled.[/QUOTE]

Around here daily drivers are frequently used in local brush pulls. And there competitive. But my truck is not a daily driver.

8. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@BIGBEAR I'd still recommend talking to the people doing the pulls, see the rigs while snapping some pictures with the cell phone or camera. Large pulls and small have their own local requirements for equipment used on their trucks. Without knowing the actual sled being pulled, it would be less of us recommending a hitch and such. And for me, it's pushing a couple decades since I saw the only one I went to. I have to admire the dedication the truck owners have in the sport, but cost factors never allowed me into it since I was raising 4 rugrats at the time. I will say, if there was a tiny weak point in the entire drive train, it showed in the pull, so be careful. Heck, get pictures and post it here.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'll definitely talk to some of the other pullers. As of rite now I think my weak link will either be my drive lines/u joints or my differential. previous owner welded the rear diff and in my experience a welded diff doesn't hold up well to high power applications