Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, 28+ unloaded isn't a dream!!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Yes, 28+ unloaded isn't a dream!!!!

I'll give y'all a little bit of background first. I've been tuning engines for 8 years as a hobby, grew up on a farm wrenching on gas/diesel tractors and equipment for close to 22 years, went to an engineering university for 3 years, and worked for Delphi automotive systems in engineering (specifically exhaust sensors development i.e. O2 and pm [soot] sensors) for 1.5 years (couldn't hack the cubicle life.)

A year ago I purchased an 09 2500 all stock. The fuel mileage (coming from a self-tuned 12 valve that got 28-32) was extremely poor in my eyes. I deleted with the raceme ultra and saw gains, but not enough to convince me that I should just let it be. Last week I bought the key to warp tuning.

Over this past weekend, I spent 10 hours tuning (rough tuning with my pre-made excel sheets, they are my bread and butter that model the engine combustion process fairly well.) I achieved 28.9 hand calculated from this rough tune and will probably be starting the fine tuning process this coming weekend. My end goal is 30-35, with pipe dreams between 35-50. I will NOT stop till I get to the absolute BEST efficiency possible.

Currently, I'm looking at building a program that will take the signal from the crank sensor and a pressure transducer and correlate them to "see" the combustion process inside the engine, if I can find a way to put a transducer on the head that will not compromise integrity.

I also tuned for mo powa!!!!! LOL

Didn't mean to be finger tap happy, but wanted to include as much detail as possible. I will be finishing my pickup and then doing a friends 03 soon.

The fun never ends!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Cummins7, Rob See thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Yes, 28+ unloaded isn't a dream!!!!

Welcome and man you are really looking at some incredible MPG out of your Cummins good luck never heard anyone getting that kind of mileage WOW

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've tuned every vehicle I've owned and have always gained power and efficiency. Mileage is A LOT easier to gain on a diesel compared to a pfi gasoline engine.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Snow Dodge liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

A little more information about the truck and driving conditions

7. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

09 2500 ccsb (will never buy a sb again!), 4x4, 3.73, 11.5 rear end, G56, stock tires, 4 inch turbo back with stock "muffler".

Driving conditions are to and from work in town (40 total miles) and another ~150 miles at night doing door to door sales for my business (no idling). Mostly 55, except in town. You don't have to stop at the outlined stop signs 😉. I live in the country, but it isn't completely flat, I have 300 ft of elevation change on my normal commute.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wildcoyote View Post
    09 2500 ccsb (will never buy a sb again!), 4x4, 3.73, 11.5 rear end, G56, stock tires, 4 inch turbo back with stock "muffler".

Driving conditions are to and from work in town (40 total miles) and another ~150 miles at night doing door to door sales for my business (no idling). Mostly 55, except in town. You don't have to stop at the outlined stop signs 😉. I live in the country, but it isn't completely flat, I have 300 ft of elevation change on my normal commute.

Depending on any other mods. Similar to mine
    09 2500 mega cab. Running 315/70 with 3.73
    68RFE
    5" tbe turbine muffler

Curious to see exactly what you pull from it

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I'll keep you updated.

This is not to be advertising, as I do not have this as part of my business model yet. It may be 6 months, it may be a year, it may be never, but my friends are convincing me to do custom tuning as part of my business. This may be available to all of you in the future.

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

If I decide not to make it part of my business, I will be sharing all of my tunes for free then.

12. Likes 4kids2dogs&RV, Cummins7, Snow Dodge liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Oh no I get that. Being around the farm, machines and military I know what engines are capable of. With all the mandated restrictions they are choked down so much. 60's and early 70's cars that weighed 4000+ with small or big blocks getting 25+ mpg some over 30
    Regulations from EPA and fuel next thing you know they're at 15-20 on a good day

Diesels are no different. Running properly without excessive garbage on them there's no reason a 6.7 can't be getting 30-35 highway in a 8000 lb truck going 70

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I agree completely, I'm just trying to save money personally and business wise. Mileage write-off is more than my expense and if I expand that gap I keep more in my pocket.

15. Likes 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast