Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inter cooler upgrade?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Inter cooler upgrade?

2013 2500 6.7 with deletes. I'm running high EGT's when pulling, it's getting up to 1200-1350 degrees and staying there. This seems a little warm to me, I am kicking around purchasing the Banks inter cooler. Does anyone have any insight on these, or have a better way to get the EGT down?

Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Inter cooler upgrade?

What's all your mods bud? I'm on tapatalk so if you have them in your sig I'm not seeing them. I'll do what I can to help ya!

Dude's Diesel Performance
    281-895-DUDE (3833)

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HB1 View Post
    2013 2500 6.7 with deletes. I'm running high EGT's when pulling, it's getting up to 1200-1350 degrees and staying there. This seems a little warm to me, I am kicking around purchasing the Banks inter cooler. Does anyone have any insight on these, or have a better way to get the EGT down?

Thanks!
    In my experience you are gonna have some what high EGT when pulling especially if you are heavy or pulling a hill bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    The one that tuned your truck has a lot to do with this also. @DudesDieselPerformance is right need some more info.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    I agree with @DudeDieselPerformace . However, I have upgraded both my radiator and intercooler to Mishishmoto High performance radiator and intercooler. You can look them up for the specs but their intercooler kits usually come with 3 and 3.5 inch boost tubes as well. To give you an idea my Mishishmoto intercool was literally twice as thick as my stock one with a 52% greater internal volume than stock...but since your truck is a 2013 than I think the specs are different because of some of the changes made to the 2013 and newer trucks compared to my 2011. Once again you can read more about their intercooler specs on their website. I recommend going with them over Banks because they have a very top quality product with basically an unbeatable warranty. By the way you probably tow more frequently and heavier loads than I do but just driving around normal (unloaded and no trailer) my EGTs consistanly stay between 350-450 range...and 600 range if I'm "pedal to the metal". I haven't had a chance to tow heavy yet to see what my EGTs get up too so I'm sorry I don't have any data to share.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

6. Likes DDP, Yamaha242LS, fourteen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Guys. I've been in the race for a long time.

Hi EGT's are from running the wrong tune or loading down the engine too much. If you are going to tow allot, take those Damn 35's off. High EGT's come from a fat tune or lugging. Going too slow in too high a gear is lugging. I used to cruise with my 08 and 15K and hold 700*. I was doing 4% grades at 1100*. That was with the 68 locked up. I don't know what the mods are, but I know.

Changing the intercooler isn't going to do anything. Been there, Done that.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks DUST1N thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, DUST1N, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JT_410BERRY View Post
    I agree with @DudeDieselPerformace . However, I have upgraded both my radiator and intercooler to Mishishmoto High performance radiator and intercooler. You can look them up for the specs but their intercooler kits usually come with 3 and 3.5 inch boost tubes as well. To give you an idea my Mishishmoto intercool was literally twice as thick as my stock one with a 52% greater internal volume than stock...but since your truck is a 2013 than I think the specs are different because of some of the changes made to the 2013 and newer trucks compared to my 2011. Once again you can read more about their intercooler specs on their website. I recommend going with them over Banks because they have a very top quality product with basically an unbeatable warranty. By the way you probably tow more frequently and heavier loads than I do but just driving around normal (unloaded and no trailer) my EGTs consistanly stay between 350-450 range...and 600 range if I'm "pedal to the metal". I haven't had a chance to tow heavy yet to see what my EGTs get up too so I'm sorry I don't have any data to share.

Another excellent intercooler is the BD. That's the one I have. I've studied the Banks. As an engineer, they seem to be defying physics. In other words, most of the Banks stuff is over spec'd. There are many that agree with me.

All the intercooler does is reduce the air temp for better combustion. ven at that, you may see a 50 degree drop in EGT's. If you have an over zealous tune, it's not going to mean squat. 1350*, an intercooler isn't going to do very much. Physically impossible

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Likes JT_410BERRY liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Another excellent intercooler is the BD. That's the one I have. I've studied the Banks. As an engineer, they seem to be defying physics. In other words, most of the Banks stuff is over spec'd. There are many that agree with me.

All the intercooler does is reduce the air temp for better combustion. ven at that, you may see a 50 degree drop in EGT's. If you have an over zealous tune, it's not going to mean squat. 1350*, an intercooler isn't going to do very much. Physically impossible
    Well as an Engineer myself I agree with you about both BD products and your statement about the intercooler. The tunning and other mods have a significant impact on EGT numbers.

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JT_410BERRY View Post
    Well as an Engineer myself I agree with you about both BD products and your statement about the intercooler. The tunning and other mods have a significant impact on EGT numbers.

Cool Glad I'm not the only one with theory. I never used it anyway. My competition had a party when I left and went on my own. LOL The art of engineering needs allot of common sense. Us gearheads are usually the best.

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Guys. I've been in the race for a long time.

Hi EGT's are from running the wrong tune or loading down the engine too much. If you are going to tow allot, take those Damn 35's off. High EGT's come from a fat tune or lugging. Going too slow in too high a gear is lugging. I used to cruise with my 08 and 15K and hold 700*. I was doing 4% grades at 1100*. That was with the 68 locked up. I don't know what the mods are, but I know.

Changing the intercooler isn't going to do anything. Been there, Done that.
    Agree ^^^^ Try a lower power tune and /or limiting to 5th gear when towing before you start throwing parts at this.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Likes Polaraco liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast