Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egt sensor for mm3

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Egt sensor for mm3

The problem with using the block off plate is that you may not get accurate temp readings from the front cylinders. It's best to drill and tap just above the turbo for peace of mind.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

2. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes theaaronbush liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Island6.7 View Post
    The block off plate would show hotter, no?
    Not necessarily. The down pipe between the turbo and manifold is the best place. You can catch a hot cylinder that way

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes theaaronbush liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I always thought the #6 hole was the one that would get the hottest? What are the main causes of a 'hot' cylinder? I'm trying to learn all I can from you guys...

Thanks!

Bob

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler
    Pulling a 2011 HitchHiker 31.5 UKTG Fifth Wheel
    Full-time RVer since 9/22/14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Champion View Post
    Where is the best place to mount the sensor. In the rear block off plate or tap a the manifold?

2017 2500 Black Larime CCSB | AFE CAI |
    4" Straight pipes |MM3 tuned by Anarchy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cummins20126.7 View Post
    I have mine on the block off plate. Seems like the closer you have it to the engine block the more accurate it will be. I may be wrong on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    Honestly, the closer to the Turbo would be most accurate but you'd have to drill and tap for that...the rear block off plate will be a little bit off but it's better than not having a reading in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I am likely ordering mine late spring, I was always told put it in the manifold just before the turbo
    Whoever said the block off plate was the place to put it, has his head up his butt. That's Cumminsforum Logic which is about as far out there as you can get. Those guys are about as dumb rocks. If they are right, then every vehicle manufacturer in the world is putting them in the wrong place. What did the 5.9 guys do? Install block out plates where there was no place to put them? Get the block off plate out of your head. It's for lazy people. Every time I see this topic I flip out

That said, I will set the record straight once and for all

The EGT sensor needs to be in the collection area, just ahead of the turbo. End of story!

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Likes Abgunnar liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Whoever said the block off plate was the place to put it, has his head up his butt. That's Cumminsforum Logic which is about as far out there as you can get. Those guys are about as dumb rocks. If they are right, then every vehicle manufacturer in the world is putting them in the wrong place. What did the 5.9 guys do? Install block out plates where there was no place to put them? Get the block off plate out of your head. It's for lazy people. Every time I see this topic I flip out

That said, I will set the record straight once and for all

The EGT sensor needs to be in the collection area, just ahead of the turbo. End of story!
    Thank you...I hate to say it, but the topic will arise again! Like you said, the collector will have the most accurate reading, just takes some guts to drill and tap it!

9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Champion View Post
    Where is the best place to mount the sensor. In the rear block off plate or tap a the manifold?

2017 2500 Black Larime CCSB | AFE CAI |
    4" Straight pipes |MM3 tuned by Anarchy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cummins20126.7 View Post
    I have mine on the block off plate. Seems like the closer you have it to the engine block the more accurate it will be. I may be wrong on that. Bunch of keyboard bullies have no guts.

Thanks for your support

Honestly, the closer to the Turbo would be most accurate but you'd have to drill and tap for that...the rear block off plate will be a little bit off but it's better than not having a reading in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I am likely ordering mine late spring, I was always told put it in the manifold just before the turbo
    Thank you...I hate to say it, but the topic will arise again! Like you said, the collector will have the most accurate reading, just takes some guts to drill and tap it!

Yes it will and I'll blow a gasket again. LOL I have a real problem with the run off from cumminsforum. I was constantly accused of mis information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12