Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Need Help With Radio Swap

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Need Help With Radio Swap

Hello all. So I was looking into a radio swap.

The one I want is way out of price range and was wondering if anyone has installed the 8.4 stock radio?

I have the lowest grade radio in it now and was thinking of getting the 8.4 oem any thoughts?

Also are all the wires already in my truck to have all the features?

Like back up cam and UConnect?

Thanks for any help.

2. Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Following want to do the same thing.

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ram3/4 View Post
    Hello all. So I was looking into a radio swap. The one I want is way out of price range and was wondering if anyone has installed the 8.4 stock radio? I have the lowest grade radio in it now and was thinking of getting the 8.4 oem any thoughts? Also are all the wires already in my truck to have all the features? Like back up cam and UConnect? Thanks for any help
    I did a 5” swap in my tradesman so I didn’t have to get a new bezel. The 8.4 radios/setup have issues with the heat/ac control from what I remember which was another reason I went with 5” to keep my knobs. Overall it was about $400 for radio from eBay and aftermarket harness/programmer.

i had to purchase another harness with an aux for my backup camera along with OBD geunie to program camera which worked great. Good luck and keep us posted!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

There're different 8.4, mine is a VP2 8.4

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    I did a 5” swap in my tradesman so I didn’t have to get a new bezel. The 8.4 radios/setup have issues with the heat/ac control from what I remember which was another reason I went with 5” to keep my knobs. Overall it was about $400 for radio from eBay and aftermarket harness/programmer.

i had to purchase another harness with an aux for my backup camera along with OBD geunie to program camera which worked great. Good luck and keep us posted!
    I know this is an old post, but I have a lead on an OEM factory touchscreen radio (the 5" one).

I don't have a backup camera or bluetooth in my truck.

Would this be an issue to get this radio and install it?

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    I know this is an old post, but I have a lead on an OEM factory touchscreen radio (the 5" one).

I don't have a backup camera or bluetooth in my truck.

Would this be an issue to get this radio and install it?
    You should be able to add those if you want or just go without.

I do not have Bluetooth still in mine.

I got a harness adapter for the radio, backup camera tailgate handle and six wire to run from tailgate to radio.

My backup camera works great and nothing off not having Bluetooth.

The 5” you should be able to get for a couple hundred buck on eBay.

The harness and components to make it work will run another 2-300 likely.

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

do you think i would need the camera and wire harness as well? or do you think i could get away with adding that stuff at a later date?

i would have to run the wire along the length of the truck, replace the handle with a camera with a handle right? Would i need to tap into a power source or is that wire a power source and video feed in one?

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I’m sure you could run without it.

I bought an aftermarket handle that had camera built in. There is a yellow aux cord (same as for tv/vcr/dvd) that runs from tailgate handle to radio. I ran it along frame with factory wire then up through firewall grommet to radio so buy more cable than you think you need.

the power wire I tapped into the reverse wire on 7pin hitch so it powers only when put into R gear.

I bought the harness adapter and obd flasher from infotainment out of FL I believe

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Awesome!

Thanks for the advice/help!