Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Valve lash adjustment

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Valve lash adjustment

I'm thinking of doing the valve lash adjustment on my truck that has 258,000 miles on it after doing a complete brake job that needs to be done.

My question is that, do I need to purchase a new valve cover gasket once I remove the cover? I know I need to get feeler gauges still.

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Valve lash adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by rlf_racing View Post
    I'm thinking of doing the valve lash adjustment on my truck that has 258,000 miles on it after doing a complete brake job that needs to be done.

My question is that, do I need to purchase a new valve cover gasket once I remove the cover? I know I need to get feeler gauges still.
    As long as it is not pinched or damaged then just use it again. It will be just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

4. Likes rlf_racing, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

How many times has it been off? I had to replace mine after the 3rd time, just what ever you do don't over tighten the 6 valve cover bolts, it's not easy getting replacements form aftermarket sources.

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    How many times has it been off? I had to replace mine after the 3rd time, just what ever you do don't over tighten the 6 valve cover bolts, it's not easy getting replacements form aftermarket sources.
    I don't think he has ever done it. I'm not sure tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    By me never. Only had it for 6 weeks. Not sure about previous owners.

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

On the '06 they need to be done every 150k and with the filters in the cover. As mentioned, don't over torque the cover bolts. But if you're not sure if it has been done, might consider finding where you can get a gasket in your area, how much and if you have to order, how long to get. If to long, have it on the side anyway. Make sure you check the head bolts torque while there. Not really hard, just a pain if you have big hands, especially with the far back bolt. Make sure you have time, make sure you plan on breaks while doing the work, and take your time the first time. From then on, it's a breeze.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Why not just replace it since you don't know how long it's been on there or how many times it's been off? Then you know it's right. They have the injector wirring built in, so it's really not a bad idea to replace with unknown miles. That's how I like to do it, but it's up to you.

They are spendy little buggers, but the eBay one works fine. Just used one on an 07 5.9.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-17-Dodge...Ht3:rk:25:pf:0

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

16. Likes Power247 liked this post