Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whining noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Whining noise

Hey guys over the past few days I began to notice a noise coming from under the hood of my truck I can hear it from inside the cab when I pop the hood it seems to be coming from the alternator area I'm not sure if it's a bad bearing or not I also heard a faint buzzing noise of some sort when I was driving through a parking lot the other day. Not sure what exactly it is. 2016 with 31k. No codes. Alt voltage is good. Fully deleted rr diesel

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Whining noise

Quote Originally Posted by Thake618 View Post
    Hey guys over the past few days I began to notice a noise coming from under the hood of my truck I can hear it from inside the cab when I pop the hood it seems to be coming from the alternator area I'm not sure if it's a bad bearing or not I also heard a faint buzzing noise of some sort when I was driving through a parking lot the other day. Not sure what exactly it is. 2016 with 31k. No codes. Alt voltage is good. Fully deleted rr diesel

I certainly wouldn't think you would have alternator or bearings going bad with so little mileage bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Is it generally in morning when first starting? Mine will make sound like that cold it is coming From clutch fan on mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easymon View Post
    Is it generally in morning when first starting? Mine will make sound like that cold it is coming From clutch fan on mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I know what you mean. But no. The. Noise runs with the throttle it's over 1k rpms. It just sounds like it's that area...it may be a belt issue. It's enough to drive me nuts@
    Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    I certainly wouldn't think you would have alternator or bearings going bad with so little mileage bud

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I know what you mean. But no. The. Noise runs with the throttle it's over 1k rpms. It just sounds like it's that area...it may be a belt issue. It's enough to drive me nuts@

Boost leak?

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

6. Likes Larry1009 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Boost leak?
    Not having any boost issues are you talking downpipe leak? No whine at idle rpms. Checked block off plates

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Not having any boost issues are you talking downpipe leak? No whine at idle rpms. Checked block off plates

Boost leak would sound more like a whistle I guess, but I just threw it out. Was thinking a boot on the cooler or something possibly.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Thake618;84322]Not having any boost issues are you talking downpipe leak? No whine at idle rpms. Checked block off plates

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

is the throttle valve deleted? If so, the Seal between the intake elbow and the new throttle tube could be leaking air. Mine did this when I installed it and would only make a noise when the engine had a load on it from putting it in gear and would try and build boost.You could not hear anything at idle.
    Just another idea!!

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Get a pry bar put one end on the alternator or whatever it is you think is making the noise. Put your ear on the other end and listen. You should be able to tell if a bearing or something is going bad.

2014 RAM 2500 TRADESMAN "SMOKED A BIT TURBO LIT AND THAT WAS IT"

11. Thanks BraedenDore thanked for this post
    Likes BraedenDore, 2rr2nv2014 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Does it sound like power steering whine kind of? Mine does the same thing and gets louder with more rpms. i thought my power steering was going bad but i'm starting to believe it is the alternator. I did a few searches and it seems other people had the same problem and it ended up being the bearings in the alternator. Kind of like this video? http://vid110.photobucket.com/albums...psg6we2mqq.mp4

- 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l (Sold)
    - 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 75k miles (R.I.P gone but not forgotten)
    - 2014 Ram 2500 Tradesman 95k miles work truck about to be deleted for the first time
    https://www.instagram.com/mikemackyo/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast