Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Fuel Performance Question.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel Performance Question.

I am once again looking at a 98 Ram 2500 5.9l l6 manual if not mistaken it should be the 12valve. I was wanting to know and hopefully I'm not posting about a pre asked question. But what type of mileage could I reasonably expect to get? Wanting to make sure it'll be financially beneficial with hopes of mild fuel savings in the long run. Thanks for your time and hope again this isn't a re-asked question.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel Performance Question.

That depend on a lot LOL. I'd guess 20ish. Remember 98.5 would be a 24 valve. I still say 20ish as a guess

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thank you for the info available with my limited info at the moment. Did a vin decoder and it's supposed to be Displacement L/CI5.9/359

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    That depend on a lot LOL. I'd guess 20ish. Remember 98.5 would be a 24 valve. I still say 20ish as a guess

I agree, empty and not through the Rockies .. should be 23-25 'at best'. 4x4's should be a bit under.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    That's about right. I used to get 22 on flat grounds. Around here it would be about 19. Lots of hills. My 01 was about the same.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I had a '98 Dodge 2500 and put 307,000 miles on it before I traded it in on a 2012 Ram 3500. As I recall roughly the first half of the model year used the 12 valve and the second half had the 24 valve. Mine was a 12 valve and got 19-22 MPG, but I had a light foot and seldom drove over 65 mph. When I towed a 38 foot fifth wheel I seldom went over 60 mph and could get 10-12 on flat ground, but it was severely underpowered. I miss that old truck .

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedDave View Post
    I had a '98 Dodge 2500 and put 307,000 miles on it before I traded it in on a 2012 Ram 3500. As I recall roughly the first half of the model year used the 12 valve and the second half had the 24 valve. Mine was a 12 valve and got 19-22 MPG, but I had a light foot and seldom drove over 65 mph. When I towed a 38 foot fifth wheel I seldom went over 60 mph and could get 10-12 on flat ground, but it was severely underpowered. I miss that old truck .
    Under power. LOL You want under powered? Look up a Dodge Big Horn with a self aspirated 6BT. (Same engine) Throw 25 ton behind that and drive it from New Jersey to Chicago area once a week. Some hills, you went so slow, you could eat a big dinner while climbing it, then nap LOL

I bet your mileage stayed the same through the whole time too

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post