Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE Thermal Bypass Valve?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE Thermal Bypass Valve?

Has any one replaced or bypassed the TBV on 68RFE?

I think mine is possibly sticking partially closed.

Today I noticed while idling that my trans would get to 190 or so.

It's never done that.

It's always been 168 no matter what unless towing.

When going down the road it cools down some.

Into the 170s range.

Any thoughts?

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I have had the same issue.

Sometimes while at idle trans will get up to 200.

It has only happened two times but didn't know what was going on.

Cooled right back down once I got going down the road again.

What does the thermal bypass valve do?

2014 RAM 2500 TRADESMAN "SMOKED A BIT TURBO LIT AND THAT WAS IT"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Bypasses the cooler basically to help the trans reach operating temp.

Big square looking block on passenger side that the lines go through.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

4. Thanks DUST1N, HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It's not doing it this morning...weird to say the least.

Think I'm going to my local hydrolic shop and have some lines made when I have time and just take it off.

My understanding is it's there for cold weather climate

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Do you know if Allisons have this?

My truck has been in the shop getting a trans so I have been pulling with my fathers Duramax.

When its down in the 30s or below his trans gauge doesn't even move past the 100 degree mark.

Just always thought it was odd mine would get up to temp and stay there and his would always fluctuate.

2014 RAM 2500 TRADESMAN "SMOKED A BIT TURBO LIT AND THAT WAS IT"

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

My understanding is some do and some don't.

Haven't been able to find much info on it honestly.

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I did a google search and seems to have been some issues before like you're having.

Once it's up to operating temps, can you put the ebrake on and leave in neutral, then feel the line before and after the valve?

That should tell you if its opening or stuck shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Droy7769 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

This was the way my Duramax was also.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I see this is an old thread but anyone have any updates or experience with the bypass valve.

I understand it just allows the coolant to circulate through the cooler at all times.

Would this have any negative effect on anything?

I live in Louisiana so my thinking is maybe this could be beneficial.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lilbxl View Post
    I see this is an old thread but anyone have any updates or experience with the bypass valve. I understand it just allows the coolant to circulate through the cooler at all times. Would this have any negative effect on anything? I live in Louisiana so my thinking is maybe this could be beneficial. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
    I would leave it be unless you are getting excessive temps.

When I had my 48RE built they crushed the line so it was bypassing permanently.

Not too sure if you could do something like this on 68s (haven’t had to do anything thankfully).

Running empty usually 165*-170* is normal.

If you are sitting in drive at idle it’ll climb quick so use e brake in neutral or park for extended periods.

I had mine get to 190* sitting for a while in drive through once and then found some info on here that explained it.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast