Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: DPF Deletes

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DPF Deletes

I'm just an old man driving a 2008 Ram 2500 with Cummins 6.7L. i have no real knowledge of trucks (barely remember what's under the hood) and no desire to maintain my own system. I have a DPF that is almost at the end of life and I have many suggestions as for what to do. pretty much everyone is suggesting a DPF delete. I have read till my eyes are popping out and here's a couple of questions off the top of my head;

Given that a Delete will modify my ECM, after the delete can I still use a code reader on the ODB port to diagnose future issues?

Not sure if the ECM, TCM & PCM are all combined into one module but I assume that modifying the ECM will not affect anything else.

I understand the vehicles ECM must be returned to 'stock' prior to any dealer or other service that might flash the ECM. If this is correct how do I do this without incurring additional cost? Is this something I can do? If the ECM is returned to stock since the DPF, NOX and Cat have been removed will the truck still run properly?

I have several suggestions; what is the difference between EFI Live, Smarty JR, Bully Dog and RaceMe. Any one I should favour?

I look forward to any input

2. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DPF Deletes

Any code reader will still work, but most tuners will read the codes also. The tuner depending on what you get will only effect what you tell it to. Engine tuning without emissions for 1, if you want to change tire size it goes into the abs module, and on your truck the tcm is sepearate, but there are tuners that will go into the tcm and give you trans tuning, such as a older mini maxx with overdrive software I think. No need to go back to stock at dealer. Just tell them not to flash the ecm. If they need to for some reason, then you would have to flash with your tuner again after they are done. Simplicity tuners in my opinion are the raceme ultra and mm3.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Agreed on above said.

Also what do you plan on using the truck for in the future? Are you just wanting to leave it completely stock but delete everything? Are you wanting any type of power gains in the future?

Depending what ya want will help us suggest the right set up for ya.

Example,
    If you don't want much power, just a little extra would be nice and of course to use to delete the egr and DPF with no codes and you don't want to spend a whole lot. You can go with say edge, smarty or bully dog.

Now if you wanted to play with the truck more in the future and produce more power and you want the best programmer and tunes out there....
    First I would recommend the mm3 with double r diesels tunes then next would be efi live.

Everything is completely customizable to your exact set up with these tunes. Each time you add an upgrade, he can go in and set the parameters for that modification.

Hope this was somewhat helpful!

Dude's Diesel Performance
    281-895-DUDE (3833)

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments thus far. I have more power than I need right now. When I first got the truck I was hauling a 7,000# trailer and loading it down pretty good. Those days are pretty much over and now I just haul the odd bit of lumber/material to work on my acreage. Not likely to do any other modifications to the truck

I have been cautioned away from EFI Live just because I was told the 'tunes' are the domain of the tuner which suggests I need to go back to the same shop to have the truck returned to stock before proceeding with any other repairs that might result in an ECM flash. Once the delete is done I don't want to be dependent on that same shop for the rest of time.

I am leaning towards one local shop that has a good rep and would use the Smarty Jr. I understand that once the delete is done the tuner is locked with my 'stock' ecm program inside and goes back in the box. Any time I require further service I can connect the programmer, back out the custom tune and return the truck to the stock configuration. Once finished I can plug the Smarty in again and restore the custom tune. Does that sound about right?

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

That is correct mostly, and I think smarty may good a choice for you also. What yiu have to remember is there is no new smarty with a "US" in the serial number that will do the deletes. An older s67 will though as long as it don't have the "US" in the serial number. The next thing is the software version it has to do the deletes. They are available here and there but I don't think they are the easiest to find. If your shop has a unit with a good software installed on it for deletes then your good. I would add a little bit of power whether it just be 30 or 60 hp. Stock power with deletes never seems to run very well. You can take it back to stock yes, but without your emissions equipment the dash will light like a Christmas tree. So going back to stock to see a dealer if your dealer is 20 mile drive, not a good idea.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You can't delete with SmartyJr or any of the Smarty stuff as far as I have read you can only delete with RaceMe or MM3 or EFI and of course H&S but they aren't made anymore as far as I know

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    You can't delete with SmartyJr or any of the Smarty stuff as far as I have read you can only delete with RaceMe or MM3 or EFI and of course H&S but they aren't made anymore as far as I know
    You can as long as you have a unit without a "us" in the serial number, and you have a good software version. Now that said. You would be better off with raceme pro, or raceme Jr tuner. They are the same thing as the smarty tuners, they are sold new, they will delete, and latest software versions are available on the website. They are not difficult to use but my opinion they are more complex to update then a raceme ultra with the sd cards. Also there would never be an option for custom tuning with one of those units. You would be stuck with the softwares and tuning only supplied by them, which I think sounds like it would be ok for the original poster.

11. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Just to update everyone who contributed to this thread; I finally worked up the courage and made a move. I ended up with replacing my exhaust system from manifold to tail pipe with a straight pipe and muffler and getting a Raceme Delete Tuner. So far everything looks good; the truck is running well with an improvement in mileage from 12.4 L/100 down to 10.4 L/100. The exhaust definitely does not pass the 'sniff' test; I can smell an awful lot of diesel where I could not smell anything notable before. Could be the system is still cleaning itself out even though I have driven about 500km at highway speed. Hopefully there are no further problems with the EGR cooler, head gasket or turbo as indicated by previous diagnosis.

One thing I'm still curious about; my invoice indicates a Smarty Jr MPPJ67 but what I received is a Raceme RMe-07. Not sure what the difference is and i haven't been back to the shop yet.

Again, thanks for all the input.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BatocheBob View Post
    Just to update everyone who contributed to this thread; I finally worked up the courage and made a move. I ended up with replacing my exhaust system from manifold to tail pipe with a straight pipe and muffler and getting a Raceme Delete Tuner. So far everything looks good; the truck is running well with an improvement in mileage from 12.4 L/100 down to 10.4 L/100. The exhaust definitely does not pass the 'sniff' test; I can smell an awful lot of diesel where I could not smell anything notable before. Could be the system is still cleaning itself out even though I have driven about 500km at highway speed. Hopefully there are no further problems with the EGR cooler, head gasket or turbo as indicated by previous diagnosis.

One thing I'm still curious about; my invoice indicates a Smarty Jr MPPJ67 but what I received is a Raceme RMe-07. Not sure what the difference is and i haven't been back to the shop yet.

Again, thanks for all the input.
    Same exact tuners basically with a different name. The raceme allows the emissions to be removed is why you're using that.