Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.42 Gear Limitations for Tire Size?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

3.42 Gear Limitations for Tire Size?

I have 3.42 gears and 33" stock tires. That's like having 36" tires and 3.73 gears (3.73/3.42 x 33" = 36"). If I go to 35's, that's like putting 38's on 3.73 gears or 40" tires on 4.10 gears!!

I tow a lot, but nothing over 6,500 lbs. I think I should limit myself to 33 or 34 inch tires. Dont want to hurt my truck. What do you guys think? I'm not considering regearing at this time.

I've ordered Ray's MM3 tuner and will be running up to +120 hp. Have 68RFE trans. I'm okay with the looks of the truck with 33" tires, just might eventually get nicer rims.

Thanks!

2014 Laramie 2500 CCSB - DRD MM3 Tuning, H&S SX-E 66mm Turbo Kit (DRD Giveaway #2), RevMax VB, Goerend Low Stall Converter & Billet Input Shaft, CA625 Head Studs, Custom Offsets MKW M95 Wheels, Nitto 11.5x35-R20 Ridge Grapplers, Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Rockers, Wrapped Bumpers & Grille, Thuren Springs & Swaybar, Phantom Sun Light Bar, Westin Rear Booster Pods, Retroshop HIDs & Fogs & Backup LEDs, Wireless Air Lift 5000, Flo-Pro 4" SST Exhaust, FTEDiesel 30" resonator, AMP Bed Step, Rebadged, Truxport Tonneau, Undercoated, Alpine Sub & Amp, and more. Matt 22:37, Proverbs 16:24

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

35" will be fine with 3.42. I am around 34" and love the ride. Will be going to 35" next time. I pull 23000 lbs a lot.

2015 Lone Star 3500 Dually 4x4 , Levelling kit . Amp steps , ranch hand bumpers and headache rack , air bags , XD rims, B&W gooseneck , LED spots , 100 gallon fuel tank , MM3 with Warp from Double R Diesel , SS 4" exhaust with muffler.

4. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri, HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I had 3.42 with 35's. Could be better in my opinion but they pulled everything I needed!!

Dude's Diesel Performance
    281-895-DUDE (3833)

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Dont go over 35's bud. I had 37's and it was pretty bad on the hwy.. unless you keep it in 5th gear. Even in 5th you would still feel the heaviness of the tires. You'll still feel the 35's but it's not bad at all, pretty minor to me. Especially with Rays tuning . Awesome

8. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I am around 34" and love the ride. Will be going to 35" next time.
    Thanks Derek. Newby question, other than the cool factor and probably more stability and grip off-road, why go 35" or higher? I don't go off-roading. Taller side walls make for a smoother ride?

2014 Laramie 2500 CCSB - DRD MM3 Tuning, H&S SX-E 66mm Turbo Kit (DRD Giveaway #2), RevMax VB, Goerend Low Stall Converter & Billet Input Shaft, CA625 Head Studs, Custom Offsets MKW M95 Wheels, Nitto 11.5x35-R20 Ridge Grapplers, Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Rockers, Wrapped Bumpers & Grille, Thuren Springs & Swaybar, Phantom Sun Light Bar, Westin Rear Booster Pods, Retroshop HIDs & Fogs & Backup LEDs, Wireless Air Lift 5000, Flo-Pro 4" SST Exhaust, FTEDiesel 30" resonator, AMP Bed Step, Rebadged, Truxport Tonneau, Undercoated, Alpine Sub & Amp, and more. Matt 22:37, Proverbs 16:24

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Exactly. Smoother ride and for a truck this big, it just looks right.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskiebri View Post
    Thanks Derek. Newby question, other than the cool factor and probably more stability and grip off-road, why go 35" or higher? I don't go off-roading. Taller side walls make for a smoother ride?

2015 Lone Star 3500 Dually 4x4 , Levelling kit . Amp steps , ranch hand bumpers and headache rack , air bags , XD rims, B&W gooseneck , LED spots , 100 gallon fuel tank , MM3 with Warp from Double R Diesel , SS 4" exhaust with muffler.

11. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Sounds like the community answered your question!

Make sure to like us on Facebook!
    Want a good daily dose of custom trucks? Check our Instagram!
    We sell wheels& tires, lift kits, custom lighting, grills, light bars and more! Right Here!

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I tow 8,000lbs with 35" tires and 3.42 gears...no problem at all.

15. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have 3.73 on 35s but I pulled a toy hauler yesterday for some people about twice that weight and gearing was never an issue. With his tunes I don't think you will notice the difference

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

2019 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 CCSB 68RFE 3.73 Diamond Black Black Out Edition RBP Stealth Steps
    Sold-2012 Ram 2500 CCLB 4x4 68RFE 3.73 True Blue Pearl

17. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I really appreciate the help guys.

I don't want to make a $2,000 mistake on tires and wheels, followed by a $5,000 transmission repair!

Haha.

Not so funny, actually.

19. Likes lcarrasco liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast