Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel filters

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Fuel filters

What are wix filters like? Will warranty cover if something happens and you don't use Mopar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel filters

Quote Originally Posted by choasbravo View Post
    What are wix filters like? Will warranty cover if something happens and you don't use Mopar?

The only filters that I use are Fleetguard Filters which are made by Cummins for Cummins.

It probably will void your warranty if you don't use Mopar Filters or Fleetguard Filters the Mopar Filters for the Cummins are made by Fleetguard

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by choasbravo View Post

You can ask your service writer but its pretty safe to say warranty will not cover replacing the fuel system due to a failed fuel filter. Only Fleetguard filters for me too.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Wix filters are ok to use and are fine for warrantee. They meet vehicle industry standards as replacement filters. I found many years ago that products are made by other companies other than the name on the package. There is a company 'bout 30 miles from where I live that makes filters for several name brand companies, one company is Balwin filters, heard of them ? They have one standard that they 'must' keep, and that is the 'brand name product specifications'. Also, Wix makes filters for other Brand Name companies and its legal to place the companies name on it and insert in the Brand Name companies boxes, since they are contracted and licensed by the Brand name company.

I retired from the oil industry and had worked on the west coast. There was a oil product that sold out west that a company did not have any facilities in the area, that and the cost to transport was higher than paying us to product their oil, package and put on their local trucks for transport and sales. Their product specs, their name, their packageing and our material/labor. So goes it with many companies and the products that are in our lives.

Customer preference is a major factor in sales and consumption. Now not to get into an argument but something like a Mopar filter. Mopar 'may' or 'may not' make their filters and last I read they did not. But since the container has their name on it, the actual contracted manufacture must make it to Mopar specs and use the Mopar name per legal and copy write laws. You the consumer must decide if it meets YOUR standards.

I prefer Donaldson filter for my truck. BUT THAT's ME. In a pinch, Wix, Fleetguard, NAPA, Mopar and such will be used. I just research the web sites to find their micron ratings, filter material and container setup for each and select for my personal preference. And the old belief of the smaller micron rating is best isn't the best belief to go by. I could actually use the Amsoil bypass filter and filter my oil down to 2 micron. But if the filter is full before changing, the trucks bypass opens up maintaining an oil still flows for my engine protection .. now what use it ? The filter is bypassed and I'm using unfilterd oil ?

This is what I do .. should be taken as a grain of salt. I found Donaldson has a filter rated for 15 micron for my engine, and this is what I buy. And 'I accept' the 15 micron rating for a main filter as the lowest. (many original filters are rated for 30 to 40 microns for diesel use and is acceptable by the engine manufactures as they install these at the factory) I also believe and use a bypass filter, mine is an Amsoil unit with a 2 micron rating. It's almost impossible to rate any filter below this with todays standard rating systems. These filters only filter 10% of the oil flow and usually dumps it back into the valve cover so the engine is still getting 90% from the main filter and the 10% from the bypass and everything is still going straight to the moving parts. Change the filters when recommended at the minimum time or mileage. Now for me this is the important part of my lubercation maintenance schedule ... I installed a Fomoto drain valve in my pan, and minimum of once per year, even if I don't need to change the oil at that time, I still get a full oil report of the engine oil with TBN results every April. (Weather is right for my area, it's after winter and before the heavier use of the year, and it's every year at the same time for comparison.) I prefer BlackStone Labs, but there are many quality companies out there to select from.

Then change and/or adjust oils or filters as needed to protect your engine the best you can. It does take some effort to learn and set up your personal standards, but well worth it if you plan on keeping your truck running great as long as you own it. AND listen to others on how they maintaintheir their vehicles .. you can improve, adjust or know what to avoid in your personal maintance schedule. You can learn a lot from others experiances. Once a schedule is made .. keep it.

The damaging thing you can do to your vehicle is have a good schedule .. and not use it.
    Good luck.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Great post @AnOldBiker. BTW, Wix makes Napa filters. Also, it's unlawful for manufacturers to deny warranty coverage as long the oil and filter meets their specifications (Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act).

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TH-64; 02-22-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
    2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Great post @AnOldBiker. BTW, Wix makes Napa filters. Also, it's unlawful for manufacturers to deny warranty coverage as long the oil and filter meets their specifications (Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act).

Thank you @TH-64 .. I knew NAPA uses Wix, I believe you drop Wix's 1st number ?? and it's now NAPA's number and slightly cheaper.

And Thank You for the mentioning of the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act, I couldn't remember the actual name ... getting old sucks.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I've been told Wix is owned by fleetguard. Though can't find anything in it.

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

thanks for the posts!!! just to be on the safe side i have always went in to the service department and i knew the service writer and he would hook me up on the price for the fuel and oil filters. i always used Mopar/cummins filters just in case. can never be too safe! some of these dealers i swear make it to where you have to move a mountain in order to get them to replace anything on these trucks!!!!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Well someone should have jumped at me.

Like a fool I was writing about filters, and used a discussion of oil filters when the title was fuel filters.
    My comments still stand about filters, but I apologies on talking oil .. and not specifically fuel.

My personal preference is Donaldon, Balwin, Fleetguard and Wix/NAPA. The reason is 'cost', I can get them cheaper then others.

But for fuel, the lower is better. I want under 7 microns due to the survival of my injectors. Most stock filters are 10 or higher, but the injector manufactures want 7 or under. Check microns and strive for the 7 and under. I hate saying this ... but if need be .. damn the cost. After all, you can buy truck loads of fuel filters for the cost of a set of injectors.

But hey .. I'm over 60 and my attention span (thank God not the bladder) seems to go first.

Jim

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

For peace of mind I use a 2 micron GDP remote fuel filter and big line kit.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned