Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared and confused about deleting and tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Scared and confused about deleting and tuning

So I've never owned a diesel before so please be patient with me. All of these EPA regulations make me nervous. Like you can't ever remove the emissions stuff and if you do dealers won't take one in on trade. The only thing I've done is unplugged the egr. Does this increase the chances of plugging the cooler? Can you put a tuner on without deleting and just disable? How much does deleting the egr system and removing the DPF cost? Truck has 143k on it and is stock.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Scared and confused about deleting and tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
    So I've never owned a diesel before so please be patient with me. All of these EPA regulations make me nervous. Like you can't ever remove the emissions stuff and if you do dealers won't take one in on trade. The only thing I've done is unplugged the egr. Does this increase the chances of plugging the cooler? Can you put a tuner on without deleting and just disable? How much does deleting the egr system and removing the DPF cost? Truck has 143k on it and is stock.
    Delete will be the best thing you could do. What year? For 13+ MM3/race me about 1500 plus tunes and exhaust. EFI live around the same I believe. No need to worry about anything at 140k miles.

Deleting will make it preform better all around. I'm no expert but delete mine around 5-6k miles and wouldn't have done it any other way.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I can safely say it does indeed clog the EGR cooler. We have a 2010 truck that is closing in on 400k miles and it has been nothing but golden. I unplugged the EGR right around 50k miles and ran stock with the check engine light for a good 200k miles. My original DPF finally gave up around 250k miles, it gave no warning other than I took a hit to my mileage, and you could tell it was trying to Regen continuously. I stuck a delete pipe on it and threw a stock with deletes race me tune on the truck and haven't looked back. Running unplugged all of those miles, when I finally did take the EGR cooler off of the truck you wouldn't have believed what the inside looked like. The crossover tube was especially blocked.

6. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Your profile says you have an '07. This means things will be a bit cheaper to accomplish than on the newer trucks. You are lucky that you can just unplug the EGR with only a CEL and run without power being derated.

You are right to be concerned about the EPA laws. Especially if you live in an area that performs emissions inspections or travel through strict areas. It is best to do some research before making any decisions.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I feel the same sunflake and that playing a big part in my wait . But my concern is more my factory warranty . I would love to have my truck deleted and all the goodies . I will say If I had the opportunity to do it today I would . I respect my vehicle and maintain well and respect it that I feel I'd be ok .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tequila Sunrise Pearl 2102 Ram 3500 Laramie . 4" Tuff Ez Ride Suspension Lift , 20" Moto Metal Razor wheels wrapped in 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2 .
    United Pacific triple trumpet train horn .No Performance mods yet .

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, LVAIR1 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Mine is a 2007. How much trouble is it to put all the stuff back on and return everything to stock if I need to one day? About how much does it cost to delete and tune?

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

"Especially if you live in an area that performs emissions inspections or travel through strict areas."

Currently in my county there is no emission testing but you never know if that will change. So I would have to keep everything in case I needed to put it back. Anybody have to put all the stuff back on for testing? How
    big of PITA is that?

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Deleting was the best thing I did on my 08 2500. I just recently traded on a 2015 3500. I am getting ready to install the MM3 emissions intact, hopefully, have one more year left on the bumper to bumper. My dealer doesn't mind trading on a deleted truck, as long as you bring the emissions crap with you at the time of trade so they can reinstall. I can fix you up with everything I took off of my 08 before I traded, if you are interested.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
    "Especially if you live in an area that performs emissions inspections or travel through strict areas."

Currently in my county there is no emission testing but you never know if that will change. So I would have to keep everything in case I needed to put it back. Anybody have to put all the stuff back on for testing? How
    big of PITA is that?
    Once you delete and remove everything you are not gonna want to put any of that emissions bs back on

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTMeeks View Post
    Deleting was the best thing I did on my 08 2500. I just recently traded on a 2015 3500. I am getting ready to install the MM3 emissions intact, hopefully, have one more year left on the bumper to bumper. My dealer doesn't mind trading on a deleted truck, as long as you bring the emissions crap with you at the time of trade so they can reinstall. I can fix you up with everything I took off of my 08 before I traded, if you are interested.
    Wow JT! I sent you a pm!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast