Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EGR Delete/Turned Off

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

So my not so stupid question pertains to the EGR and Cooler, what are the added benefits of completely deleting them vs just having the EGR turned off via Tuner?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

I'm curious too

2017 2500 Black Larime CCSB | AFE CAI |
    4" Straight pipes |MM3 tuned by Anarchy

2017 Ram 2500 CCSB | AFE CAI | 4" Straight Pipe | MM3 Tuned by Anarchy

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

Good question. I'm going to be deleting / getting tuned soon when my 4k miles left of warranty is gone.

- 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l (Sold)
    - 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 75k miles (R.I.P gone but not forgotten)
    - 2014 Ram 2500 Tradesman 95k miles work truck about to be deleted for the first time
    https://www.instagram.com/mikemackyo/

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Maroon Monsoon thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

I have mine turned off by tuning. That does not have an effect on the DPF or DEF as they are still active.

as for just turning off vs fully removing, I am not sure. the EGR-Less tuning is not a true delete because the DPF an DEF are still used
    @Double R Diesel can you add some insight

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

In terms of deleting, the tuning will turn off the EGR. So, removing the cooler completely is possible at that point. However, you can leave it intact.

Why remove it...

Cleans up the engine compartment, totally prevents any soot from ever entering the engine from any possible closed valve blow by, and eliminates the possibility of a cracked cooler leaking coolant back into the intake. If you're gonna keep your truck a long time, well then remove it.

Why not remove it...

Less work, easier to put the truck back, and any potential problems mentioned above are not likely to happen with normal driving and the typical ownership time period.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

Completely agree to the above said.

My two cents to go along with it was when i had my 2012 i deleted it at 7500 miles and once i took of the intake and everything you should have seen the amount of soot that had already built up inside of it!!! The not so pleasant way to describe the EGR is basically this...

Take burping for instance. your engine exhaust is you burping. In order to try and make it cleaner it takes a portion of the exhaust gases the engine generates and runs it back through the intake in hopes of the second round burning more off then the first round did. So think of a tube coming from your mouth to your nose and a little 3 way valve. one valve going to atmosphere the other going back into your nose to be recirculated. 3 way valve being the EGR Valve. haha i apologize if it is somewhat disgusting. But why leave all that in place when it can be free and clear! Even if the tuner turns it off it will still be better overall in my opinion to take everything off. Also i would recommend keeping all of your extra parts just in case. Unless you are hurting for cash then you can sell and make a pretty penny.

Let me know if i explained it correctly but thats how i understand it!!!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    In terms of deleting, the tuning will turn off the EGR. So, removing the cooler completely is possible at that point. However, you can leave it intact.

Why remove it...

Cleans up the engine compartment, totally prevents any soot from ever entering the engine from any possible closed valve blow by, and eliminates the possibility of a cracked cooler leaking coolant back into the intake. If you're gonna keep your truck a long time, well then remove it.

Why not remove it...

Less work, easier to put the truck back, and any potential problems mentioned above are not likely to happen with normal driving and the typical ownership time period.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    Once again Ray from Double R Diesel is the answer man

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

12. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

i'll probably do the same... leave it and just turn it off. I can turn a wrench, but it would save me effort/time to put the truck back to stock in case the tuning doesn't work and I own the truck of Satan. been reading too many stories of folks that are deleting/tuning... worries me.

14. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

I know I am late to the party, but, I was in the same boat and after running the MM3 with the egr hardware still attached for a few months, I finally decided to remove all the hardware. The first thing I was astounded by was the amount of soot in the intake from the egr. After removing the hardware and throttle valve body, I am amazed at how quite my engine has got. On the road, all I can hear is a nice quite exhaust and I can't hear the engine at all. If you are going to keep your truck for awhile, then get rid of the egr.

2015 Lone Star 3500 Dually 4x4 , Levelling kit . Amp steps , ranch hand bumpers and headache rack , air bags , XD rims, B&W gooseneck , LED spots , 100 gallon fuel tank , MM3 with Warp from Double R Diesel , SS 4" exhaust with muffler.

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

EGR Delete/Turned Off

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post

Why remove it...

Why not remove it...

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    Once again Ray is the answer man

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

17. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast