Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MM3 Tuner Troubleshooting

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

MM3 Tuner Troubleshooting

Howdy folks. With the ever increasing popularity of the MM3 tuner, I'd thought it would be a great idea to make a trouble shooting help guide. With any product, there can be common issues and hopefully what I mention may help. These suggestions also apply to the RaceME Ultra or Smarty Touch as well. Feel free to add to this post with any helpful ideas.

First and foremost take your time assembling the unit and installing it. Parts are small and fragile. I've had many customers plug in cords backwards, install SD cards backwards, snag and pinch cables, etc... by simply not paying close attention to what they were doing. Look at connections carefully and don't force things together. Most parts fit only one way. If doesn't seem to fit right, well it probably isn't.

When installing your tuner let the OBD connection be the last thing your plug in. Theses tuners have 3 CPUs and they must all communicate when you plug the power source in which is the OBD connection. Failure to do this will cause the tuner not to work.

Well what if you install everything correctly and it does not work..

If your display shows no signs of life when you turn on the key on, check you micro USB cable connections. If they are loose, it won't work. Remember these cords are much like a phone charger cord and can't take being pulled and tugged on. I've had customers plug these cords in upside down and damage the female ports in the main CPU unit and display. If you spread the female port from such a mishap, you can take a small pick or screwdriver and tighten up the receptacles.

If you suspect your cable is damaged, you can easily run out to the local electronics store and buy a new cable. You most likely won't find a micro USB with two male ends, but can buy adapters to make a cable that will work.

If you turn on your key and the display flashes the green and red lights with no picture...then you have an SD card problem. You will either need to reformat or replace your SD card. Remember if you reformat your card, you will be erasing all data on it...so save the .ecm and .rtg files that I've installed on your SD in the custom folder before hand to your PC. Reformat with the FAT32 format. Reinstall the latest update for the MM3 on the SD card next. The update files for the MM3 can be found here... http://mm3power.com/downloads/ Next paste your ecm and rtg files back into the appropriate folders. If you start with a new SD card, use the same procedure.

Programming errors...

Most are connection related. Make sure the J1939 unlock cable is installed. I don't know how many guys I've had not install this cable at all or remove it after the initial flash. This cable must be plugged in for the tuner to write the ecm or change the tuning via the RT menu.

Another big connection issue that really throws a monkey wrench in are OBD splitters. DO NOT write your ecm through an OBD splitter. I know OBD splitters are common with the use of AMP power steps. You are best to hard wire AMP power steps and not connect them via the OBD if you are gonna use a tuner like the MM3.

Another thing. If your MM3 warns you the voltage is low for programming...don't program! Charge your batteries first! Low voltage programming can really jack up your tune!

If you get a message when you program that says something like "ver mismatch" or "unknown calibration"...this means the MM3 doesn't recognize the operating system of the current calibration as being compatible with what you are attempting to program in. If this happens, you will most likely have to purchase a recovery calibration ($120 available thru me) to flash in to change your current operating system to one that is compatible.

These are just a few highlights that I thought were common enough to mention. Many more things could occur and if they do, we can find a solution. Hope this post does help.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: MM3 Tuner Troubleshooting

Great post!

This thread is now a stickie. 😉

🏁Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!🏁

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

My truck came with a different tuner when I bought it. But I am definitely interested and want to learn more. My main concern would be the switchover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks ray for all the great help and service

2017 2500 Black Larime CCSB | AFE CAI |
    4" Straight pipes |MM3 tuned by Anarchy

2017 Ram 2500 CCSB | AFE CAI | 4" Straight Pipe | MM3 Tuned by Anarchy

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

How about this one, every once in a while the mm3 won't start up when I crank the truck,. It just flashes a red light. Usually does it when it's hot out

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

My dash lights seem to remain on well after I park the truck. Say hours later they are still on.
    I have DRD tuning. Any suggestion or expertise on this? Is it normal?

Everything else seems to be working.

2018 ram 3500
    EGR, DPF Delete

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190331_190346.jpg  

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Post Re: MM3 Tuner Troubleshooting

Any info on what this code means.
    Everything seemed to get programmed in successfully.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190329_221550.jpg  

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahamod View Post
    Any info on what this code means.
    Everything seemed to get programmed in successfully.
    After talking to Ray through email sometimes the newer trucks (2018) don't play nice with the software/tunes. There is an easy fix for this and has happened before so MM3 is supposed to send me a security gateway module bypass cable.
    Once installed, I'll just need to reprogram the truck.

Other then the background dash lights staying on and the error message the truck runs and shifts AMAZING!!

11. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak, Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahamod View Post
    After talking to Ray through email sometimes the newer trucks (2018) don't play nice with the software/tunes. There is an easy fix for this and has happened before so MM3 is supposed to send me a security gateway module bypass cable.
    Once installed, I'll just need to reprogram the truck.

Other then the background dash lights staying on and the error message the truck runs and shifts AMAZING!!
    Glad DRD got you fixed up. Let us know how it works out.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    Joe@DudesDieselPerformance.com
    https://dudesdieselperformance.com/

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Yamahamod liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Glad DRD got you fixed up. Let us know how it works out.
    Got the bypass wires/jumper from MM3 in 2 days!!
    I installed them last night and it took care of everything that was going on with the truck dash lights staying on, on my 2018.

I had to disconnect 2 wires from the OBD port and install the two new ones. After that you just plug the other end into the green electrical pack near the parking brake.

Reinstall tunes

Drive away!

Thanks to DRD and MM3!!

15. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast