Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a truck

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Looking at a truck

Ok guys dont know if this is the appropriate place for this or not. But i need some input from you guys, I currently have a vp44 powered cummins and am looking at a 2008 Mega Cab cummins. The question is its only got 76,000 miles on it, cloth interior, automatic,4x4, has a set of 22" wheels on it. everything else looks to be bone stock. my question is does $31,500 sound about right for this????? its sitting at a dealer here in indiana where im at. no rust or dents pretty straight truck. let me know what ya think.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Looking at a truck

Hey, prior owners of the '08's, chime in here please. I'm old and the mind strays now and again. Wasn't there some problems with the '08's for a while there ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Thanks Diesel life, jf336 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That is really low milage for an '08. The price seems legit. KBB estimates mid 30s for a 3500 mega cab Cummins so 31 sounds fair.

Early '08s had lots of issues with emissions. At 76k the warranty ran out on all that so any lurking issue will be on you unless the dealer provides some type of warranty. But if you can delete that you can remove that possible headache all together. Also, it is worth checking the engine hours if possible to see how much idling it has done. A stock emissions intact truck that has done lots of idling could have a turbo getting ready to go out.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Thanks TX NIGHT TRAIN thanked for this post
    Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

yeah it is very low miles for an 08, I had figured I would delete it all if I end up buying it. the truck comes with a 6
    month 7,500 mile warranty. Its a 2500 but still blue books about the same. So how would I go about checking the
    engine hours??? How does the auto tranny hold up on em??? thanks for your input

7. Likes Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

7500 miles is pretty good warranty. The engine hours should be visible in the dash readout. I have read that the early 68RFE trans is not quite as stout as the newer trucks but not sure what makes the new ones different.

Greg

Greg

9. Thanks Diesel life thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    7500 miles is pretty good warranty. The engine hours should be visible in the dash readout. I have read that the early 68RFE trans is not quite as stout as the newer trucks but not sure what makes the new ones different.

Greg
    You can't read the hours in the 08 dash. They didn't have all the bells and whistles the 4th gens have. They were no different with information that the earlier 3rd gens. The trans was pretty stout. But they did not like allot of constant abuse. Us lab rats helped develop it to a better trans. The Asian is still the best.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Thanks Diesel life thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You can't read the hours in the 08 dash. They didn't have all the bells and whistles the 4th gens have. They were no different with information that the earlier 3rd gens. The trans was pretty stout. But they did not like allot of constant abuse. Us lab rats helped develop it to a better trans. The Asian is still the best.
    No kidding??? I would have thought there would be a way like the key cycle thing to extract the CEL codes.

Greg

Greg

13. Thanks Diesel life thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

looks like will be seeing if they will take the wrangler jku in on trade and see what we can do thanks guys

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

May have spoken to soon just

looked online and they changed the wheels and tires and now want $33,995 thats not in my budget!!!!! here it is what do ya think

Last edited by Diesel life; 12-29-2016 at 02:10 AM. Reason: bad typing

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Changing wheels and tires was just a way to attract more attention. Go check it out in person. If you want to make a deal use the wheels as a negotiation point. Let them know you saw the truck before the change and you would rather have the truck with the old wheels and the old price.

Greg

Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast