Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Paint scratched/rubbed off just above the top of the box on the back of the cab

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Paint scratched/rubbed off just above the top of the box on the back of the cab

It's not a large area (2"wide by 1"high) that was scratched/rubbed off, but it's down to bare metal. The two reputable paint shops informed me the box would need to come off to blend it properly. $800 is just too much to fix something that small. I would like to hide the scratch and ensure it doesn't rust. My thought consist of touch up paint and a decent graphic covering it. Any thought or ideas?

Thanks

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Paint scratched/rubbed off just above the top of the box on the back of the cab

You can get the base coat in a spray can from a reputable paint supply house and they sell a professional clear in a shaker can. Dupont has a 2 part clear that is short lived in the can, but the best.

First wash the area real well with a good detergent. Then wipe it with a solvent. A damp towel with lacquer thinner quickly will do. Don't soak it. Get some 1000 or 1500 grit west sand paper and sand the area you are going to paint. You want to sand a spot twice as large. I500 will polish easily.
    Mask off the glass and allot of the area around the spot, but don't box tape the area to be repaired. You need to over lap the finish coats. Then splash a light coat of a quality etching primer. Body shop supply house will have it. Let it dry and lightly wet sand again. make sure you are working clean at this point. If you have an air compressor, keep blowing off the area to keep dirt off. Spray your spot with the base coat lightly. Wait 20 min or so, then spray again, onlt a slightly larger area to blend. Wait an hour and then spray a thin coat of clear in the immediate area of the damage and to cover all your base coat, Follow the instructions on the can for between coats, Every time you apply a coat, apply it to a larger area. to blend. Keep it light coats.

Let it dry for a day or 2 and then wet sand the area with the wet 1500. Don't sand through the clear! Compound and polish. If the body supply was worth a crap, the color will match. If you polished it right, you'll never know what happened.

Wait until you see the price of the paints

Good luck

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks Schmidty thanked for this post
    Likes Weeseven, Power247, Schmidty, walla2k5 liked this post