Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel mileage

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel mileage

Ever tried easing up on the skinny pedal? If I'm not in a rush, I set the cruise to 65. Can make a 2-3 mpg difference.

2. Likes Noneck liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Ever tried easing up on the skinny pedal? If I'm not in a rush, I set the cruise to 65. Can make a 2-3 mpg difference.
    I've wondered if it would make any difference but where I am the speed limit is 70 on the turnpike. So everyone's doing 75 to 80. 65 feels like 40!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

4. Likes elcubano liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    I've wondered if it would make any difference but where I am the speed limit is 70 on the turnpike. So everyone's doing 75 to 80. 65 feels like 40!

Same here in Texas, speed limits range anywhere from 60-85 on the Interstates out here... I just sit in the right lane and drive. I was actually surprised how many cars/trucks I ended up passing on a 3 hour trip to Houston one weekend

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

People who don't use cruise on the interstates are my nemesis! I lose my mind when I move over for some idiot who flies up then drives beside me for 10 miles. But anyway...back to our topic!

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

7. Top Of Page | #15
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    Yes sir I agree 100%...that's why I'm really considering dropping tire size. I don't expect to be in the 20s with this heavy truck for sure. But I know 1500 cruise rpm is just low with for the weight.

One thing that effects mpg is rear end gearing. On your 3500, is the gearing like a 4:10 ?
    That great for hauling heavy loads, but bad on mileage.

And when I bought my truck, I bought it knowing I was gonna work that puppy at times .. so high mpg's wasn't that important.
    I have my wife Frontier we use .. that sips fuel compared to may Dodge.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I have 3:73s. I can run 65 in 5th no problem..~1850rpms. I'm not overly concerned as I'm pretty sure my tire choice wasn't the greatest LOL.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

My 06 could get 15-17 hauling my job trailer and 18-20 without. It had a cold air and a 4" exshaust no programmer. My 15 fully deleted is at 12-13 with trailer and 15-17 with out, running 35's my 06 ran 33's.i love my 15 and the power is unreal and fuel prices are down so I'm still smiling. Plus who really buys one of these for mileage? If you want mileage and haul, they make a four door Prius

2015 2500 CCSW Outdoorsman black badging, ram matts black steps, XD Crank 801's with 35/12.50/18 Toyo MT's, tinted widows, BDS 2" leveling kit with shocks race me ultra, flo pro 5" turbo back exhaust

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Look, let's be realistic, you could build a custom big block gas burner, push the same power numbers and slap 6.Ought gears in it and it would haul the same as the diesel. Diesel costs are warranted by your gain in mpg over the long haul of heavy loads. If a gas burner can do the same job then there's no point in the diesel. I've got work trucks/gas burners with 200k on the odometer that still purr like new kitty. I would a shiny nickel that these new diesels, if let run to 100k miles with emissions will not get over 250k without at least an in frame overhaul. Why the f would anyone want to spend the $12k more for the diesel then?

To be clear, I believe that the factory emissions wore my motor prematurely. Prior to the emissions starting to apesh$t at around 20k on the odometer, the truck was great.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LB Heating View Post
    My 06 could get 15-17 hauling my job trailer and 18-20 without. It had a cold air and a 4" exshaust no programmer. My 15 fully deleted is at 12-13 with trailer and 15-17 with out, running 35's my 06 ran 33's.i love my 15 and the power is unreal and fuel prices are down so I'm still smiling. Plus who really buys one of these for mileage? If you want mileage and haul, they make a four door Prius
    Right on...definitely wasn't purchased with fuel mileage in mind for sure.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

13. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    Right on...definitely wasn't purchased with fuel mileage in mind for sure.
    Nor mine, but I didn't start the thread either...

I deleted on June 7th at 78.7k
    I still run stock wheels and tires, and I do tow a travel trailer every once in a while. Plan to upgrade to 35s very soon, will be interesting to compare the numbers.
    Here are my gassbuddy fuel log totals for the year, keep in mind truck was in the body shop from 11/2 - Dec 23 for hail damage repairs.

Gasbuddy.JPG

14. Thanks TX NIGHT TRAIN thanked for this post
    Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN, LB Heating liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast