Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Calling all engineers and gurus-

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Calling all engineers and gurus-

sorry about large pics - keep scrolling - its a long post bc of the pics

So I wanted to make a bracket to bolt onto the frame. For many reasons (which I will get into in another thread later) I have decided to mount my winch behind the air dam. For this thread I was hoping for opinions on some upgrades to a Western snow plow bracket.

At a minimum if I double the Kurt and draw-tite hitches with a back and front cross member, I will gain Lateral, horizontal, and vertical strength. Doubleing the hitches will give me a base plate to bolt to as well.

The Western snow plow bracket:

Why not simplify and increase. I could use some fresh eyes to point out good and bad

What I'm thinking of doing.

couple more cross member supports and the mounting plate locations.

Kurt 9000lb mount for comparison - which I will basically be doubling

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Calling all engineers and gurus-

What are you planning with this winch? You should look into a snatch block instead. Not to mention, there are limitations with the truck. Example, as I have experienced, you may be dragging the truck all over the place. Even with a 4 wheel brake lock. Then there are limitations of the frame.

Trust me, you can only winch what the truck weight will allow you. If you are going to start chocking wheels or chaining the rear to a tree, you are going to break something.

I've had a front winch for 15 years and on 5 different trucks. I didn't start doing this yesterday. Just go with the hitch and forget all that other stuff. As an engineer, it makes sense to break the winch before bending the frame. It can be done.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes Cummins7 liked this post